• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seac Xfire 115 double bands 14.5mm combination advice?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Candogan Kaplan

Sep 20, 2014
Hi,

I am planning to modify my gun Xfire 115 with 14.5mm double bands. I'll use original shaft which diameter is 6.25mm and 145cm. I wonder that the shaft and bands are compatible for this combination??

Thanks.

Hi Candogan,
This one?
61SUqFky99L._SL1500_.jpg

Looks like the muzzle can handle it. Does the spear have 2 notches for wishbones? If so, it will probably handle it, as 2x14mm provides similar power to 1x20mm(18-20mm). 6.25mm is slim but my Omer XXVs uses 6.3mm spears with 1x18mm rubber and that's as equipped by the Omersub factory.

Don't know where you are located or what you fish for but in general I would suggest sticking with a single band unless you have good reason not to. If you have loading problems/pain, consider using a loading pad & review youtube videos. If you want more power, 1x18-20mm would likely give you similar power. You can shorten bands a little for more power but harder loading. Or fit longer bands for easier loading but less power.

We don't hear about 2x14mm that much on the forum but apparently it is a popular configuration in Hawaii. Perhaps due to a combination of keen young spearos & big fish?

Last edited:
BTW If it were mine, I would probably fit one 16mm bulk rubber band with a dyneema wishbone. 16mm bulk rubber would be plenty powerful on a 115cm speargun and still reasonably easy to load. Using a dyneema wishbone would probably mean that the wishbone notches in the spear would have to be shaped & smoothed to accommodate it (I've done that on my Omer XXV 75 - cheap diamond coated files worked best for me).

Everybody has there own favourite modifications/configurations though. That's just mine.

First of all many thanks for answer. Yes, the spear has two notches. It has already 18mm Seac mono circular band and the power is good but i want more power and shooting range thats why i am thinking double 14.5 bands.

I agree with Mr. X and would opt for a single 16mm band. In my opinion a 6.25mm shaft is a bit light for twin 14.5mm. rubbers.

When it comes to modifying a spear gun there are many options to consider such as power of the bands, diameter and length of the shaft, shaft overhang and the species of fish being targeted. Heavier shafts generally require more power for maximum penetration be it multiple smaller bands 14-14.5mm or single 16mm-20mm bands.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT