• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seal dive on the telly

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jez

Jun 16, 2005
:) Just caught a snippet on 'The One Show' on BBC1 that saw Kate 'my god that's amazing' Humble diving off Lundy with Grey seals. A short but interesting report. I don't think I'll worry too much about them in future, they seemed quite shy in the film and came over to have a 'nip' of their fins but no real agressive behaviour. Mind you, they did seem smaller (perhaps female?) than the one I saw near Dartmouth last weekend and they didn't have dead fish on them.

A big one came into the small bay I was visiting in Dorset list year. It was huge. I was already done with diving for the day (lots of fish that day) & was spinning from the beach for mackeral (as I'd seen a lone one chasing a shoal of bait fish). I know diver a who is 6ft 2" & very heavily built - must weigh 260lb-300lb -- and when I saw the seal I thought might be a big diver but then realised the head was much bigger than the guy I know. I doubt if they'd be aggressive but any wild animal of that size presents a potential danger. Wild animals are best left in peace, I think.

A couple of anglers on the beach packed up as soon as it arrived. I think the assumption is that the fish will be spooked but I doubt if a dedicated fisher like a seal would spook the fish any more than a spearo. Perhaps the fear is that you might end up hauling in a distressed seal attached to any fish you hook. Having double hooked a seagull with a chug bug plug, I can see wisdom of calling it a day when they show up:D

Reactions: foxfish
If you are concerned about the seals, I am sure we can send you some great whites to feed on them - we have loads in SArofl

Seriously, do they give you many problems? The only ones I have seen in SA have been curious but not agressive (granted I have not dived too much in the Cape).

I have started having problems with what seem to be lone male dolphins (very large ones at that) - perhaps it is a mammalian thing!

Any comments?

Reactions: Mr. X
...Seriously, do they give you many problems? The only ones I have seen in SA have been curious but not agressive (granted I have not dived too much in the Cape)...
No problem, seals are a rare sight (I've only seen them wild in the UK, maybe 5 times - & perhaps 2 or 3 times in the US) so it is a treat to see them.

I had a a pretty sealy year this year.Like you said,they were always pretty curious and weren't at all shy about coming up for a fin nibble.On two occasions they would follow for me for ages which kind of puts you off your hunting a bit but i always just unloaded my gun and made the most of it.I had two come and check me out when i had a few bass on the stringer but they didn't come very close that day.
They're pretty common round cornwall with a some large populations on the North coast.I'm hoping to take some friends out next year specificly to do some diving with them.
I was thinking the other day though about dolphins,i havn't seen one yet but i'm not entirely sure i'd like to with a load of fish on a belt stringer!

Here in Cape town I swim into them regularily, I'd say that on almost 2 out of every three dives I encouter them. They are a lot like a playful puppy, most of the time the are just inquisitive and want to investigate this strange two legged creature. I have had a couple of tassles with them., When I used to crayfish with baitbags full of pilchards thats when they gave me problems. I'd be on the bottom and they would just dive right down on top of me, push me out the way and literally steal the pilcard bag right out my hands! Then he would proceed to rip my bag to pieces and eat all the pilchards. There was a seal that would actually follow me into the water and learned that float = bag of pilcards, so the moment after I had dropped all my bags he'd be on to them. After this happening a few times, I was quite livered!, and I'd actually check for the seal before I went into the water and when he'd arrive I'd leave and find another diving spot.

Generally they are your worst enemy as a spearo, cos they spook all the fish. But if you not bent on spearing fish they are actually quite fun to dive with and a joy to encounter.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT