• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

searching with AND doesn't work

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tim.h

Jan 3, 2013
I really would like to search the immense knowledge found in old posts, but if I don't know how to search for specific information I need to ask again.

Using AND in the search term box seems to have no effect. Searching is extremely frustrating when you get so many results. Am I doing it wrong?

I don't know. But I have allways had problems with search function, even when I know the name of the thread I look for, too many threads pop up... And even more if it's something inside a post...

Sometimes it has helped me, when searching only on DB through google advanced search...

if you search for "and" in the search box you will return any post that has and in it... this would be crazy and cause stress on the server.

Give an example of the search string you want to use and we can see if there is a better way to try

not searching for the word "and" but the boolean operator. should return results with both terms. I don't want results with just one because this gives me far too many results, mostly irrelevant.

"O2 headache" for example.

Ah gotcha!

There should be an option for a boolean search, but its not available here, possibly due to lack of use previously or optimisation.

I'll ask Stephen to comment.

Hi tim.h,

I thought that if you put a term in inverted commas "O2 headache" It searched for the phrase as a whole?

Most people get a bit lazy at using proper search punctuation and functions with Google being as efficient as it is.

Hope this helps but google advanced search sounds like an acceptable option :)

Diddavetellyou

Have drybag will travel.

Hi tim.h,

I thought that if you put a term in inverted commas "O2 headache" It searched for the phrase as a whole?

It does but it won't return "headache from o2" or "o2 induced headache"

Think that's what the OP is referring to?

It does but it won't return "headache from o2" or "o2 induced headache"

Think that's what the OP is referring to?

Indeed. I use google now. It does the job.

eg. 'co2 headache site:forums.deeperblue.com' will give me what I want.

The search functionality is unfortunately limited by how well it is designed by the 3rd party who created the forums. It isn't perfect. There are other solutions to improve the search but cost a lot of money which we can't afford.

I'll see if I can draw up some guidelines and instructions on best use of search.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT