• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seasonal impact on spearing?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Surfmatt

Sep 28, 2009
Hi, excuse my ignorance but I was hoping that some of you more seasoned spearos could shed some light on this for me?

I have heard mixed reports about the distribution of fish around the UK South West coast throughout the year. Some report that the fish become more scarce throughtout late Autumn/Winter/Spring whilst others report that the numbers are unchanged and that the fish are actually easier to spear during this period.?

I went spearfishing today at two spots where I was consistantlty catching grey mullett and bass back in the summer and I didn't even see a fish let alone get a shot off on one?!

If the fish do become more scarce where are they hiding? Do they inhabit deeper water?

Any info on this topic would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Most UK fish breed offshore in the winter months. They leave around November/December and return around now (April/May). Depends on species and what part of the UK you're in.

Notable exceptions are flounder which breed inshore in winter and conger that only breed once and then die. Also lots of fish don't like the colder winter water and move offshore to deeper warmer water. For example mullet breed slightly later (early summer) but move offshore more in the winter due to low water temperature and rough seas.

Personally I start to look for bass in late April to early May, start flatfishing (plaice and sole, brill and turbot) in June/july, begin night diving seriously in September (earlier sunset) for red mullet plus some flats and bass and lastly finish with just night dives in December for reds and sole (which are all that's left).

That's just a quick summary. Takes a lifetime to learn it all and even then you don't.

Dave.

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
Thanks Dave,

Very informative. Hopefully I'll see a few more fish next time!?

What wetsuit do you wear for December night dives? Sounds chilly brrrrrrrr! I have just ordered a mtm Elios 7mm which i'm hoping will keep me warm through most of the year. To date I have been wearing my surfing suit and yesterday I was so cold when I got out (after 1.5 hrs) that I couldn't talk properly for about 20 min!

I was so cold when I got out (after 1.5 hrs) that I couldn't talk properly for about 20 min!

LOL good effort

I think most people use 5 mm suits so the 7mm might be a bit hot in the summer you may have to switch back to your surfing suit then.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Dave,

Very informative. Hopefully I'll see a few more fish next time!?

What wetsuit do you wear for December night dives? Sounds chilly brrrrrrrr! I have just ordered a mtm Elios 7mm which i'm hoping will keep me warm through most of the year. To date I have been wearing my surfing suit and yesterday I was so cold when I got out (after 1.5 hrs) that I couldn't talk properly for about 20 min!

a few of us have 5mm and 7mm suits which we mix during the season

7mm for the dead of winter and a mixture of the 2 for the rest of the year

at the moment Im using a 5mm top with 7mm bottoms

Matt it does depend on your bodytype/shape. What some people call bioprene (ie fat) helps some of us :). Some people also just naturally seem more tolerant of the cold and lastly depends on your spearing activity. Repeated diving and searching like when flattying keeps you warmer than lying on the bottom not moving doing an aspetto. Then of course there's dive time. Some people do 6 houre (like competition spearo's) while some only do the hour (like after work quicky to just catch a tide).

I make do with a 5mm suit all year but add a 2mm undervest in December and April. I only wear gloves as a last resort maybe only a couple of times a year. Actually the water temperature in December is still high but the air temperature is not. Night dives are usually between 1 hour and 1.5 hours. Day diving is between 1.5 hours and 2 hours, seldom longer. In summer I can stay in longer but time and tide seldom .... etc. not to mention getting an ear bashing from her indoors. I am lucky living on Guernsey as I can dive most days in season (weather permitting) so I dive more often and maybe shorter than some.

Dave.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT