• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seatec miniroller 60

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I still haven't had the opportunity to try out a pneumatic gun yet and I'll reserve judgement until I do, I never found out for sure if the Cressi's with the power adjuster set to low can be loaded incrementally or to be exact, get around this problem of the spear flying off if you lose grip on it while loading.

I do like the roller guns for the extra power and ease of loading over band guns of a similar size. I think they could be comparable to air guns in terms of size to power ratio.

Hi Derek,
Yeah, even the Cressi will have you need to hold on to the spear while loading. The easy loading feature doesn't hold the spear in place but will let you incrementally push air into the back chamber. You still need to hold the spear. Loading is not really an issue in terms of force needed, it just takes a little bit of practice.

I was contemplating roller guns as well, but commercially available options seem to still be in their infancy.

D.

Hi David, there are several manufacturers out there making kits to modify most band guns. I opted to get the seatec mini roller 75 as it was a relatively cheap offering. It hasn't disappointed me performance wise, giving a range somewhere equivalent to a 100cm bandgun...the only downside was the cheap plastic on the rollers and the bands needed to be replaced as they were sticking. But as a concept I think the rollers are great and I will definitely consider the new Omer roller when it becomes available.

I totally agree with the concept, I just hear that the conversion sets tends to make the guns muzzle heavy. But yeah, I guess great ones working straight out of the box are just around the corner.
Oh, one more thing that I suspect bandguns have over pneumatics: You have a better line of sight over the spear itself on most bandguns where in most airguns, the spear is located in the middle of the barrel. For newbies getting used to their guns, I suspect the former is more intuitive.

Ye I've heard about the line of sight on the pneumatics but until I have a go of one I don't have any experience with that. One thing I did find on the Omer xxv gold 75 band gun that I have (which is also slightly muzzle heavy, especially with a thicker spear), when I fitted a gopro camera to it down near the grip...the balance is now perfect.

Hi David, there are several manufacturers out there making kits to modify most band guns. I opted to get the seatec mini roller 75 as it was a relatively cheap offering. It hasn't disappointed me performance wise, giving a range somewhere equivalent to a 100cm bandgun...the only downside was the cheap plastic on the rollers and the bands needed to be replaced as they were sticking. But as a concept I think the rollers are great and I will definitely consider the new Omer roller when it becomes available.

@Derekn:
I think you might be on to something here. I also have alot of trouble loading the gun as the bands are very very sticky.
What replacement bands did you buy?
- or in my case: what should I buy for the miniroller 60?

PS:
@David: I am finally in the process of buying an One Air 80 (using it for shallow/low visibility Danish waters).

Hi Carl...I bought a set of replacement bands online, it was hard enough to find them from what I remember and I think I found them in an Italian Online shop on Ebay. I just had a quick look again and can't seem to find anyone selling them. You could probably just buy bulk rubber of the same diameter and cut it to the right size and transfer over the old hardware from the one you have. The knot came apart that was holding the steel 'loop' on one of my bands last week, I retied it using some spare nylon thread and learnt how to tie a constrictor knot. I think I'll have to do this the next time I'm replacing them. The only other option would be to contact Seatec Seatec and ask them to sell you them or recommend a distributor who stocks them.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT