• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seattle area freediving scene?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

1 Tadpole

I'd rather play than work
Jul 27, 2002
Hey,

I'm just starting with freediving and was wondering what the freediving scene was like in the local Everett/Seattle/Tacoma area is (Washington State U.S). Water is all around us but what about individuals/groups to freedive or train with?

I've learned there's a good concentration up in the Vancouver B.C. Canada area but for spontaneous quick trips that's too far to go.

I need to get a few other pieces of equipment and get a class under my belt then I'll be ready!

Thanks,
Tad

Good to hear of someone new getting involved with this amazing sport. I live here in the Seattle area and we are slowly forming a tribe here. Our goals are to support each other in improving our skills, knowledge, and individual abilities. Safety, is at the top of our list. If this is the type of group your looking for give me an e-mail. dakdiver@hotmail.com
Look forward to hearing from you, Dan.

Hey, is it quiet here or what? Everyone must be out diving or somethin. Or are Seattle freedivers "in-the-know" about deeper blue?

I've even tried to contact Freedive Vancouver and Cliff Etzel but with replies yet.

dakdiver, you still breathing? Fire off a flare, reply or a PM to let me know where you are. I'd enjoy chatting with you.

Work is the pits and I need some diversion.

Got the cofffffee jitttttters,
Tad

Tad,

you got alot of folks in your area who dive. They are likely in Hawaii at this time. Try contacting Laminar or Eric (Just Visiting). These guys know the puget sound dive community...

Uuhh, and then there is Dean, whom I assume you have contacted through his thread below.

Aaron

Last edited:
Tad,

If you are interested, just e-mail me at the the thread a few replies below yours. The class in Vancouver is the best way to get started. However, if you just want to try it out, we meet every other Sunday at Edmonds underwater park. Tomorrow 8/19 at 3pm. I have dove with Dan (dakdiver) a few times. He is another good person to go with. Good luck!

Dean

Thanks for the reply Dean. I just sent you an email. Anxious to chat more.

Seattle Divers

Hey guys,

Good to here you guys have a club. My 17 year old sister-in-law just move there from here in Hawaii and is looking for someone to train with. She's not a bad diver, I got her down to 117ft. She's looking for a pool and such to train dynamics and statics also.

Let me know if you guys can help.

Thanks

DSV

Dakdiver,
I've sent you a few emails. A couple "private" and to the email you gave me in an earlier reply dakdiver@hotmail.com. Have you not received them? Let me know and I'll post my email address.

Talk to you soon?

Tad

DSV,

Sorry for the delay in a reply. I noticed you don't a Private Mail (PM) set up.

I've only had contact with one other local freediver so far "Dean". He has said they get together about every other Sunday in Edmonds. Have her contact him if she wants some experience people to dive with.

"Dakdiver" is apparently trying to form a formal "club" but I've not had any luck contacting him yet.

I myself am just starting out. Getting equipment and trying to get some formal training.

Where is your siter-in-law planted now? Seattle has a number of good pools. Even an outdoor salt water pool called Coleman Pool in West Seattle. It's located in Lincoln Park. It's Great. There are many other indoor pools and a couple outdoor.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Tad

Hey Tad,

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure exactlly where she is but I'll be in contact with her soon and I'll let her know what you told me.

Thanks again

DSV

P.S. my email address is deron_mendy@yahoo.com if you have any question about training etc.

I am very interested in freediving and look for an instructor/courses in Seattle area. Can you recommend me something?
Thanks!
Anastasia

Hi Anastasia, yes there is at least one PFI (Performance Freediving International) certified instructor here in the Seattle area. I'm not sure what his schedule would be. Your best bet is to join our local freedive club. Go to Yahoogroups.com and search for the "bottomsounders". Once on the site, post that you are interested in local freediving instruction.

Hi Anastasia,

In Dean's reply to you he mentioned PFI instructor in the Seattle area - that's me. I'd be happy to get you in a class - drop me a note and I look forward to connecting.

Best,
Sean

Hi,

I'm interested in finding people to practice static and dynamic apnea in Seattle, anyone interested ? I'm a member of LA Fitness in Ballard, I'd love to meet other freedivers and help each other sharpen our skills ...

Cheers,

Pierre

Hi Anastasia,

In Dean's reply to you he mentioned PFI instructor in the Seattle area - that's me. I'd be happy to get you in a class - drop me a note and I look forward to connecting.

Best,
Sean

I kinda miss the puget sound diving, I just recently moved back to Oahu from my hometown in Seattle. While I was there I had a few dives with Sean. I can vouch for him, he is a good guy and knows his stuff. Whatever the classes cost its 200% worth it.
Also the Bottomsounders is also a good group to meet up with.

Im a local boi from Hawaii, made it out here to Seattle about a month ago. While in Hawaii never really got to experience blue water diving. My type of dive was more reef fishes Uhu, moana, roi, weke, etc. Im here in Seattle for the next 6 to 1year, long story short I really want to get into diving a little deeper. I guess watching all the videos of SWB and SAMBA kinda scare me. Knowing yeah it can happen within 10m of water (my type of diving) I want to improve my skills. Would free diving class be worth it for me? if so can someone direct me to the right direction who i need to talk to, classes etc. lol sounds stupid but I want someone that can take me under their wing and show me the ropes really eager to learn and willing to really listen!! Im here now so i might as well make full use of it!

All the help would be appreciated!!

Mahalos!

Hello Opihipika, Good for you in wanting to get some training. I learned a lot when I took my first freediving course. The techniques learned are very good but the safety awareness really struck me as the true value in taking a class. You will need a new suit for the water here. Most people use a 7mm freediving suit, 5mm sox and 3 – 5mm gloves.

There is one local instructor here, Sean. He has been very busy. If he can’t get you into a class, Performance Freediving in Vancouver BC has an intermediate starting in June. Read the course description and you can also call them to decide if that is the class for you. Sean is one of the performance freediving instructors and is local.
Upcoming Courses « Performance Freediving International

You should also join the Bottomsounders yahoo groups.

Dean

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT