• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seb Murat photos in PNG

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ivan

looking for deeper water
Jan 26, 2002
hi

I was just checking the C4 website and noticed in the fin section at the bottom of the page there is a couple of sic underwater pics of Seb diving in PNG with what looks like C4 80 fins :confused: I always thought Seb was a Monoman. Anyway the pics are cool check em out :cool:

cheers

Very cool pictures indeed :)

I am about to order a pair of C4´s today actually, but i´m still in doubt. Should I get the 30 or the 80?

Others say the 25 is best and some say 40 :confused: I like to shift a little between mono kicking and normal swimming, would the 80 be suitible for this? I´m pretty sure that's what Sebastien is doing on 2 of those pics.

018.jpg

019.jpg

hi

Yeah thats a pretty tough one. Pellizari used 80's, Stepanek used 40's and it seems from the pics that Murat uses 80's however I think that Murat may use the 80's just for playing around with as Im sure he uses a mono, well at least he did ??

Ive never used C4's myself the closest things ive got are matrix fins but If I was in your situation I would get either the 40's or 80's, The deep guys generally say the 40's are the way to go for deper diving becasue their stiffer.

cheers

Hi Seal,
one thing with the 80's is they are better suited to a taller diver. ie the longer the legs, the wider the kick. That would explain why Martin & Brett lemaster used the 40's, and Umberto who is quite tall used the 80's. I did find something on a french website recomending the 80's only for divers over a certain height/weight.

Also the 40's could be used for normal stuff like spearing to some extent, although the rails on all the C4's limit maneuverability.

As for 25's vs 30's and 40's, depends on what stiffness you want. For constant I think you would want at least 30's. For dynamic can go a bit softer. I don't find the 40's very stiff myself but I am 1.89cm / 80 kg.

At a guess dolphin kicking works better with a shorter fin because monofins are actually much shorter and wider then bi-fins. But I've never used the 80's so they may work ok for that.

Cheers,
Wal

hi Wal

Quick question what type of fin/fins are you using these days ?

cheers

My own impression on the C4 models are a bit different from Walrus'. As I have been told, the models have these characteristics:
Falcon 25: long blade, very soft, for beginners
Falcon 30: long blade, normal stiffness, 'normal freediving' fin
Falcon 40: long blade, very hard, the records fin
Falcon 80: extra long blade, very soft like the 25, mainly for weak-legged people that will get the extra power from the bigger blade surface

I believe Pelizzari made use of the Falcon 40 for his attempts. With regards to the pics of Murat, I think it's only for the sake of the camera, I doubt that he'll be using them for anything official. Even on the pics you can see how the blades fiercely over-bend, which is making you loose power-momentum in your dive. With my impression of Murat's level of stamina and his level of knowledge, I don't think he's using the 80 blades for anything serious. Ther 40's have proven much better (excluding monos).

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

I'm pretty sure that Umberto used the 80's. I've seen footage of a record dive and his fins were really long, and Umberto is about my height. I remember because he had Cressi stickers on them and I was trying to find a super long fin that cressi made :duh
Aparently the stiffness changed throughout production so one year the same fin was stiffer then another.

Chris, the C4 40's are not that stiff, they are way softer then my picasso carbon's. The new Omer Milleniums (plastic) are even stiffer again.

Ivan for CB I use a Waterway monofin, stiffness halfway between LD1 and MD1.

Cheers,
Wal

Last edited:
I noticed that in the fotos Seb's C4's had the old Cressi Gara footpockets. Those things are horrible (meat grinders). Theres been talk about C4 but havent heard anything about blade compatibility to the Cressi footpockets. Is there any validity in this?

In response to the C4 stiffness.

Now I'm using the Gara 3000 for substiution. I broke my Metalsub carbon blades (Yes metalsub made a Carbon Fin once)

And They where quite stiffer than the Gara 3000, and I have a pair of Omer Valerio Grassi footpockets that should fit the C4 blade.

Conclusion I liked the stiffness of my old carbons, and they where stiffer than the Gara 3000. So I think I would be best of with the 40's

Hi Seal,
I was wondering about the manueverability of and the surface swimming of the Gara 3000 in terms of usage for spearing. Do you easily fatigue and is the foot pocket comfortable?? Thanks. Longfin

I think the Gara 3000 is a very good spearfishing fin.

I was out spearing for 4 hours today with no problems. Other than a slight foot cramp (but I get that with all my fins) I just take the fins off after about 30min and take a small break. After that 3.5 hours with no probs. Footpockets are soft and very comfortable compared to my Omer.

It seems that they have added some metal dust or something in the fin because it is sinking just below the surface when surface swimming. This is very good! My friend has Omer Mellenium and they float. So he is thinking of using ankle weights :eek:

I don't really think about them when having them on, the extra length is just right in my opinion. Very good plastic fin overall, maybe the best?

Thanks for the info Seal, I was wondering what the difference bet'n the omer foot pocket and other fins since the bat fins I have are very hard on the feet. Perhaps they need to be broken in alot?

Originally posted by Walrus
I'm pretty sure that Umberto used the 80's. I've seen footage of a record dive and his fins were really long, and Umberto is about my height. I remember because he had Cressi stickers on them and I was trying to find a super long fin that cressi made :duh
Aparently the stiffness changed throughout production so one year the same fin was stiffer then another.

Chris, the C4 40's are not that stiff, they are way softer then my picasso carbon's. The new Omer Milleniums (plastic) are even stiffer again.

Ivan for CB I use a Waterway monofin, stiffness halfway between LD1 and MD1.

Cheers,
Wal

Hi

Yeah I always thought Umberto used the 80's as well for his record attempts :confused: Maybe someone from Italy can clarify

cheers

I took the Apnea Academy course in 2001, and I recall Pelizzari mentioning that he used the 40's for the records and the 30's for recreational diving. I'm quite sure of it.

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

Originally posted by Seal
My friend has Omer Mellenium and they float. So he is thinking of using ankle weights :eek:
Strange. My omer millenium pockets don't float. If I leave the fin in the water, the footpockt sinks to the buttom. The blades seem to be positivly bouyant since they hang above the footpocket in the water. but the whole fins still sinks.
Tell me if the ankle weights work for him. :)

Maybe he just has fat feet. I didn't check the fin out myself.

He uses 10kg of lead on a 5mm suit, so he's probably just very floating by nature :D

Originally posted by Seal
Maybe he just has fat feet. I didn't check the fin out myself.
:) And I thought that a good way to evaluate your footpocket's bouyancy is without the foot and the neopren sock inside. ;)

Not in these parts. Here it is tabu to question a mans word about his fins :cool:

If my friend say they float, they float! :eek:

Anyways both the blade and the footpocket of the Gara 3000 sink.

Reactions: DeepThought
rofl I see you rather take your friend's word against a strange-person-in-the internet's word. ;)
I suggest next time you dive you'll "surpise-fin-strip" him and throw his fins away. then we'll see how well they float while he is doing a surprise unassisted CB. :D

My millenium green blades seem to float, or want to float as the footpocket sinks them, I haven't tried the same test with the millnium competition blades yet.

Anyway, I would'nt be surprised if gara's are better for surface swim.

Reactions: Seal
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT