• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sebastian, Florida (for you Floridians!)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

skarz

Rasta Freediver
Mar 4, 2004
Hi, my grandparents have a winter home in Sebastian, Florida, and every year i go down there for like 1-2 weeks to bum and thaw out from the Wisconsin cold. I was wondering if there's any parks, reefs, springs, ANYTHING that you can dive near that area. I usually go to John Pennenkamp park in the Keys, that place is amazing, but it's SOOO far away we have to make it an overnight trip. I was wondering if any of you Floridians knew of a place in that Sebastian area. THanks.

Thanks. I've only been to their place 2 times so far, i'm not sure how far away it is from Palm beach tho. I'll try and get in touch with michael.

Hey Jeff, do you know how far (in Mileage) it is from the Sebastian area to West Palm. I couldn't find a good map online. I don't want to make my grandparents and parents drive me too far... and i have no dive buddy. Maybe i could hook up with some of you good divers so you could show me the ropes!

Man, when I was flying out of FLL on my way back home, my biggest regret was that I didn't do a shore dive in Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm. Looking out the window of the plane, you could see that the vis was incredible.

The springs are also a must see, if you can get up to Blue Spring, for example. The state parks are great -- maybe you can talk your g-parents into a camping trip. Make sure you dive w/ a local buddy though -- the springs are defnitely risky if you don't know how they're laid out inside.

Well i actually don't think i'm ready for springs yet. I'm 15, and this is my first REAL year of freediving, and taking it seriously. I can reach about 30-37 ft. no problem..... and that's with no fins, no snorkel, 3 broken toes, and a bum foot. I just throw my mask on and swim down. I'm hoping when my foot heals, and fins can be worn i can go much deeper. I think blue springs might be way to far away from Sebastian, i'll have to check.

My grandparents are in a nice subdivision too. They have a private lap pool for the residents, so i could get some good workouts in there too. I really would like to get to West Palm for a few days of my trip though. My sister could chill on the becah why i dive or something.

For those of you who have actually been there, how far do i have to travel from the beach to reach a good dive spot? I like to dive for the scenery, not for astounding depths, so if theres a good spot to check out that would rock.

Mmm... hour and half isn't too bad i guess. Maybe i could get my sister to drive me while she flirts with the guys or something :). I just want to get back in the ocean diving by the reefs, i'm sick of the freshwater, with no viz!

I might have the oppurtunity of a lifetime soon though. I'm signing up for a foreign exchange program to Australia for 11 months.... that would be amazing, but i have to get accepted first. I just hope my host family doesn't live far away from the ocean! That would make me sad.

THanks for the info Jeff!

He, if you tell her that The111 looks a bit like "Out Back Jack", maybe she'll drive you all the way to Blue Spring.

Just a thought ...

Actually, just talking to her now, i found out she's going to be in Ecuador and the Galapogos islands while i'm in Florida.... she always wins! Ahh well, parents are there for a reason! They hate freediving and strangers, especially freediving strangers, so i don't know how this is going to work.

The best beach diving in Florida is actually right around Sebastian/Vero Beach Area. Get Ned DeLoach's "Diving Guide to Underwater Florida" and you will get some spots to get started. Vis can be variable but I am sure it will be warmer and clearer than any Wisconsin lake.
In West Palm to Miami you need a boat to dive most areas but they are some nearshore reef. Have fun...

Angelos

Originally posted by Pezman
He, if you tell her that The111 looks a bit like "Out Back Jack", maybe she'll drive you all the way to Blue Spring.

Just a thought ...

Bwahaha, thanks Mike, you just made my day... I think?

Frogman, i thought Sebastian was more inland from the ocean? I've only been there twice, and both times we went to the Keys, but i didnt think the beach was very close to Sebastian? I'll have to get out a map. And i need that book, that could make the vacation more interesting.

Sebastian is right on the coast dude. And it is a nice place. There is a dropzone there that I go skydiving at, it is a beautiful view. And the waves there are supposed to be the best in FL, but brutal and an intense "locals only" spot so I've never even wanted to go out there.

Hmmm how can you dive if the waves are brutal? I guess my grandrents are on the other side of sebastian, away from the coast. It can't be that far of a drive though. I'll have to check it out. Do they do snorkel trips or anything?

Damn that was a fast reply. My connection is lame right now and by the time my own reply came up your was there too. I've never actually seen the beach at Sebastian except from a plane. :) But like most surf breaks in FL, it breaks biggest near an inlet with rock jetties. And I don't know a damn thing about diving in Sebastian (or anywhere on the coast in FL), but if it is done, I'm sure it's not near the inlet.

Haha, i can reply fast because as soon as you replied, it sent me an e-mail saying your post was new, so i jumped right over here. That's what i thought too, about the rocks and surf and stuff. Frogman must be talking about somewhere else.

Hey Skarz I missed the date you're going to be in florida.I live in Jax not to far from sebastian ,Theres a lot of good spots down there for freediving and surfing and I think I might be able to contact someone from there to freedive with. repost the days you'll be there or send me a pm.

AJ

I'm not going there for specific days yet, hell i'm not going until spring, but i'm just planning my trip already so i konw what i'm doing when. And i'm looking forward to freediving that much :). I'm just a little boy (15 yr. old...) so my parents would have to meet you first and all that good stuff, but besides that, another dive buddy would be great. I'm not very good yet, so i wouldnt want to be a burden.

Hi Skarz:
The Sebastian inlet area is one of my favorites!!! I live in southeast FL and every time I have a chance I drive up there to find real fishes.
The only problem is that you need a boat and gps, and know the area to find good spots; but the reef that goes along the coast is very productive.
Regards,

Rouspearo

Originally posted by skarz
Hi, my grandparents have a winter home in Sebastian, Florida, and every year i go down there for like 1-2 weeks to bum and thaw out from the Wisconsin cold. I was wondering if there's any parks, reefs, springs, ANYTHING that you can dive near that area. I usually go to John Pennenkamp park in the Keys, that place is amazing, but it's SOOO far away we have to make it an overnight trip. I was wondering if any of you Floridians knew of a place in that Sebastian area. THanks.
:p :p

Rou, That sounds awesome! I just recently talked to my grandparents, and they want me to come down in Spring if my grades are good. They live in a nice subdivision with a private spa clinic and a nice big private pool. Hopefully i can swim all day there, and i guess Sebastian is only 20 minutes from the ocean, although every time i've been diving we drive to the keys. I'm not very experience, and my bottom times are pitiful, but i'd love to dive in the ocean again!!

Hopefully this nasty Hurricane passes and leaves the area un-hindered. Cross your fingers everyone.

Good! Contact me before you came down here and hopefully we will be able to meet in Sebastian area for a dive.
Sebastian is in my opinion, even better than the keys but for water viz which sometimes can be cero…
Regards,

Rouspearo

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT