• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

second AJ, 33 lbs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
no fish are wasted at the rodeo. Crabs have to eat too! As for the stingray...ever eaten sea scallops? Well then you have eaten stingray...they also make that artificial crabmeat out of it, just boil in crab boil. Louisiana is a different world. We dont allow tree hugging pansies here. We do enjoy the SPORT side of the sport and take a big fish for the challenge of it. If the species is not protected and the biologist say it can be harvested without detriment to the species then... What about all those huge uluas taken by the hawaiians....if Im not mistaken those arent considered high quality table fare yet they are a prize for the freediver?

Stretch and AJ...Ive seen your pics, maybe you guys need tanks. As for you passing judgement about what you know nothing, it shows your true character. It be like me saying your chasing sheepheads on the jetties isnt very sporting. I invite all of you to shut up, pack your bags and come see what Big C is doing...I'll take any of you out. Bring your A game, youre gonna need it. Sorry if I sound like an ass but the time for being nice has ended. There is lots of new legislation out there right now challenging our sport. When that time comes we(freedivers) will not be seperated from tank divers. In fact we are lumped in a group with harpooners, gigging and bowfishing to name a few. There are some scuba hunters out there right now fighting for YOUR right to dive and all you are doing is sitting at your computer pretending to be holier than thou. Their choosen sport is legal, they abide by the same bag limits and so on.

As for me returning even though this site sucks...well I havent lost hope. There used to be a time when you could actually meet cool people here. I met the best man in my wedding through this site. There is a group of us that go to the keys every April that met on this site, yes the infamous "Keys Kraze" You used to be able to get unbelievable information about anything freedive/spearing related here. Now all you get is moral lessons and Med. Sea advice(murat and those guys are keeping their side of the site strong...good job) Ever noticed most of the moderators dont even post here anymore? Andersn is one of the best divers in the country, he does 150+ foot drops at will and has recently bagged a world record blackfin tuna while diving the helldivers rodeo w/ me. Abriapnea is a world renowned hunter that has taken his fair share of the toughest fish in the South African sea including marlin. Fuzz has more guns of all makes and models than any person I know, and he has tested them all in controlled conditions for comparison. SASspearo is also a very accomplished hunter and Amphibious keeps us filled in on hunting in the great white north. Many of you have never seen a post from these guys. Instead of getting infomation from people like this, DB seems to have turned into a chat room. Instead of trying to improve our sport as well as the newbies skills we have posts like "what sign are you" or "how old are you" or one of my favorites"what is your bloodtype"?????

have fun flaming me, I know I stirred the pot here

rofl

Reactions: Cingene and Erik
to whoever gave the negative karma...the message was cut off. I wanted to see how you note ended so you can pm it to me if you want. The negatives dont bother me...ive got some karma to spare. If you have something constructive to say, say it here then send me the bad karma....

AJ...did you get the info off spearboard you were looking for?

Big C, don't stress the politics. I have never scuba'd and speared at the same time, but I have done some challenging scubadiving where I wouldn't want to be tied to a 50 lb fish ;)
Hunting is about hunting....if you're ethical, then I could care less whether you do it with a tank (maybe not a Sherman) or not. Stalking and understanding when/how/where is the game.
I like the pics and appreciate the stories, so keep it up.

"Instead of trying to improve our sport as well as the newbies skills we have posts like "what sign are you" or "how old are you" or one of my favorites"what is your bloodtype"?????
have fun flaming me, I know I stirred the pot here "

Well, you've got a point. I've always enjoyed your input. Hopefully you'll keep posting.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

ahh, Erik...the ever present mentor of luvey-dovey:D Please tell me its just me. Maybe Im just a bitter man or something but even the DB's own sultan of smooth seems to frequent less and less:waterwork

Alison, youre more right than you will ever know. This is the same old debate just with new screen names. Maybe I get so fired up b/c everytime this thing is settled it seems to start all over again with new people.

To those who didnt know Iyadiver, he was one of our favorite members around these parts bak in the days as well as being our only scuba diver. His innovations in rigging stay with me to this day. Many of Don Moores experiments are based on Iya's ideas. There was a day when we could all get along.

Speaking of experiments – I’m in the process of a new gun design that is so revolutionary I can’t even tell my mother the details!:D But the project is getting pushed back until fall, because the seas are too good this time of the year. We spend the whole year dreaming about diving in July and August! :)

Friday I’m doing my first spearfishing tournament. Captain Waldo’s Invitational www.captainwaldos.com . My dive buddy committed to a charter scuba guy with a 45’ sportsfisherman, because my boat was suppose to be in the shop. The guy doesn’t have anyone to dive with so I guess we are going to go with him. We are in the free diving class and I’m excited about the comfort of his boat, but am worried about his scuba scaring off most of the eligible fish. Our experience with diving rigs with scuba divers, is once they start blowing bubbles – the fish go deep.

I called the shop and told them they could have my boat on Monday so we are taking it alone on Saturday when the charter guy has a charter. We plan on going to a secret location that almost always has Dolphin/Dorado to get some to fill that category. The seas are currently forecasted to be 2-3’ on Friday, 2’ on Saturday, and 2-3’ on Sunday - which is absolutely awesome for us.

Nice fish BIG C! I would be stoked if we were able to get an AJ that big. They are here, but much deeper now than in April. Right at the limits of depth ability. I’m taking my DAN O2 kit if the charter guy doesn’t have Oxygen on board. Must be safe!
don

Don, when hunting with the bubble blowers try to hit the water first. Look for cobia right off the bat. As the divers return to the suface they will often bring schools of large aj with them. I try to meet the divers at about 60-70 ft and pick one off(aj, not the divers;) ) Think of them as a bigger flasher. Also as the divers descend follow them. The fish will often get behind them checking out the bubbles but the tankers never see them, cobia do this alot and so will the aj's. Sometime swim out from the rig if there are lots of hardtails around and you will often get welcomed by schools of kings of matbe even wahoo depending on location.

Good luck and safe diving.

Great Tips Mike! Unfortunately Kings and Wahoo aren’t on the category list and there is no miscellaneous category :waterwork so it looks like using the scuba diver as a big flasher :blackeye will have to do for AJ and Cobia.
don

Last edited:
saw the wango tango in the pics from that tourney last year...look out those guys are badass! They have a nack for finding big warsaws and aj's during the helldivers rodeo.

Big C, I like your pictures. That is a nice fish and it deserves recognition. I have worked as a mate on rig boats out of Venice and Morgan City, the waters you guys dive gave me the heeby geebys, to turbulent and murky for me. It was hard enough driving a rig boat out there, let alone diving. You Cajuns are crazy. I am a freediver, but I enjoy a good story and pictures, tank or no. If people who post pictures keep getting bagged on, it will get awfully dull on this site.
Good hunting,
Boyd;

Last edited:
rig, I fyi I grew up on the Tx/La coast (port arthur, galveston, and crystal beach) fishing those rigs and watching my dad take huge ajs, cobia...etc. (on scuba)

I'm am by no means a tree hugging eco-freak. I stayed away from the free-dive/scuba fight...so don't give me any shit about this "holier then thou crap..." I stated what I thought was better for me...maby you should re-read. I've shot plenty of fish on scuba (not sheephead mind you), I can post some pics if I you want?

As for crabs having to eat too? What a fucking retarded justification to shoot a large inedible fish, stingrays? puh-lease....So all the bycatch from commercial fishermen and shrimpers is ok because sharks and other misc. fish that follow boats...and birds have to eat too? (ok that's a little extreme because tons and tons of bycatch is thrown back into the ocean...but you get the drift. Plus the term Free-diver does not make one any more ethical than a bubble blower.

so if you can truly justify having a misc. category for anything other than "oh look how big that whatever is", I'm all for it...

I chase sheeps and smaller fish around here because my boat does not have the range to get me out deep...here we don't have the luxury of rigs to hold fish...it's all ledges and wrecks...
Strapping on a tank (even though I got 2 alum 80's and the rest of my gear sitting in the laundry room) won't get me bigger fish, just more time clanking around on the bottom.

Reactions: Rolando
what do you think crabbers use for bait? Why do I have to justify me taking a large inedible but well legal fish to you? Why do you get to decide whats right and wrong? You want to hunt sheepies on the rocks, hey, thats fine w/me so long as you dont exceed your limit. If I want to shoot a limit of Jack Crevalle and tarpon, hey Im just as legal as you. Nothing goes to waste here, if you grew up here you should no that. I wouldnt kill a fish and dump it of a sea wall or anything like that. Man, you sure got wound up....watch the language buddy, kids get on this site too, that and it doesnt help you make your point. Like I said, we do it different. We still enjoy the "sport" of taking large fish. Heaven help the next triple digit finned creature that swims my way...

Never called you an eco freak but I guesss I could call you the ethics police.....

you know, its funny. i only posted twice, the first time i shot 12 trigger fish (the limit is 20) and got blasted for taking all of those fish on scuba. then i shoot my first big fish (35 pound amberjack, of which i was really proud of since i just started spearing) and i got blasted again. i post 2 pics in a 3 month time frame and both times everyone is fighting. maybe i should have lied and said i help my breath, dove done 100+ feet, spent 8 minutes in hand to hand combat with a 35 pound fish before stringing him and returned him to the boat, while diving a current amid a sea of pipes while not being tangled up in the rig in nasty, low vis water, i would be a hero. but because i have been spearing about 4 trips and used scuba to do it, i should be ashamed? how can you guys (not all of you) be so hard on a new person who is doing so well so quickly (in my opinion) how can you expect to recruit anyone other that people who only share your opinion? am i wrong? after all, i only posted 2 pics and got tons of negative reviews both times be cause i used scuba. big c

"We dont allow tree hugging pansies here. We do enjoy the SPORT side of the sport and take a big fish for the challenge of it."

Originally posted by rigdvr

"ahh, Erik...the ever present mentor of luvey-dovey:D Please tell me its just me. "

I'll take that as a compliment :)
But you should know that I have actually put a few guys in hospital when I was mugged (twice)

"To those who didnt know Iyadiver, he was one of our favorite members around these parts bak in the days as well as being our only scuba diver. His innovations in rigging stay with me to this day. Many of Don Moores experiments are based on Iya's ideas. There was a day when we could all get along. "

Iya is a good man, a good spearo, a great engineer, and has a great sense of humour. He can drink, and likes his women too.
I miss the guy.
As the Guru of Group Hug, I am compelled to remind you all that if you were sitting on a boat or in a marina bar and started this conversation, you would all be laughing and getting along and trading stories about the big one that got away. Computers screens lack many of the things that keep conversations civil.
Happy hunting people,
Erik Y. (3 hours in the water and skunked today :(

Last edited:
can we close the subject and all just get along. it all just started with trying to give Big C some kind of weird incentive to start spearing wihtout scuba, but seing since this is not an option without us gnawing at each other and calling each other tree-hugers and freaks of sorts then we should just try to get along with or without tanks on our backs. im sorry if this post sounds a little incoherent (which im sure it does) but i just came back from a party and im pretty drunk.

as i was saying, can we just drop the subject. i apologize to Big C and Rigdvr if in any instance i offended them, and can we just leave this discussion as it is?!

Meshal

Ever noticed most of the moderators dont even post here anymore? Andersn is one of the best divers in the country, he does 150+ foot drops at will and has recently bagged a world record blackfin tuna while diving the helldivers rodeo w/ me. Abriapnea is a world renowned hunter that has taken his fair share of the toughest fish in the South African sea including marlin.

rofl

Hi

Rig I certainly remember the days when these guys were around :cool: To me they were some of the best times in the Db history listening to the likes of Abri and Ando talk spearing and deep diving were awsome.

By the way Big C great fish hope you had a ball :)

cheers

Reactions: Erik
one for cojack

[
Stretch and AJ...Ive seen your pics, maybe you guys need tanks.

I'm doing very well considering I have no acess to any spots offshore, The viz is usally 5 feet and third I can't shoot what isn't
there. I went to pensacola for the 4th of july and saw a scool of 4ft plus tarpon , if I shot one of those tarpon would that make
me a helldiver? Would it get me some recognition from you or give you some indication of my spearing ability?As for the tank I
have a brand new one sitting in my garage and your welcome to
it aslong as you come pic it up in person:). There could be other reasons for those guys not visiting the site , Freediving and spearing is one of several hobbies I enjoy but it doesn't pay the bills you know . People have different things going on in there life
and somethings get put off for higher prioritys.

Reactions: Alison
damn 5 feet! Tha's wonderful...our usual is 3 with a good day pushing 6.

lucky so and so....

Got offshore yesterday and Defo wounded some ajs so that when I rolled over the side of the boat they were already gone...captain wouldn't let us shoot any cudas.

but even the DB's own sultan of smooth seems to frequent less and less:waterwork

I'm around, Mike but as with you and the rest of the OG, times are a bit different, be it we're busier, broker, or having to get up and do the diaper thing. You'll be experiencing all three soon. ;) As with Iya, Abri and SASpearo, I could sit here and type or I could go pay the bills...

I will admit the place is certainly less of a destination at the end of the day, but there are still a few members offering up some good topics and defending them. I'll let you know when I see one...:hmm

And on the spearing on SCUBA thing, I do it as well and enjoy the daylights out of it. If it's legal, the catch isn't wasted or you're doing the area a favor, as in shooting carp, no probs. While my biggest fish to date was popped holding my breath, there are areas and species that require bringing our own air and a big set of huevos and both are equally rewarding. The argument of free vs SCUBA has nothing to contribute here other than taking up space, much like an eco protestor driving home from the rally in a gas powerd vehicle.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT