• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seeking identification of a speargun sold in 1961

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DRW

Vintage snorkeller
Jan 5, 2007
BJ354H(1)_detail2-numbered.jpg

The image above is a detail from a photograph viewable at https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-s...h-yorkshire-1961-artist-michael-28344081.html and captioned "Sports shop interior, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, 1961. The interior of Sugg Sports in central Sheffield. The photograph shows one of the rooms where some of the sportswear was on display, including some Lee Cooper jeans and snorkeling and scuba diving equipment."

I have numbered the items of early-1960s diving equipment on display, attempting to identify them all. I would particularly welcome help in identifying the speargun (10) as you are the experts in the underwater hunting field. As for the other items, here is my take below:

1. Advertisement for Dunlop Aquafort Wet Suits. These were unusual for their time as they were made from yellow neoprene for high visibility.
2. Advertisement for Heinke Hans Hass underwater swim gear. Heinke was one of several diving equipment companies licensed to manufacture the range of fins and masks designed by legendary Austrian diver Hans Hass and known in the 1950s as "System Hans Hass".
3. Single-snorkel mask with ball valve and triangular faceplate. Probably from the Clipper product range of Haffenden-Richborough of Sandwich, Kent, before the company launched its Britmarine brand in December 1962.
4. Swim mask with triangular faceplate. Probably from the Clipper product range of Haffenden-Richborough.
5. Swim goggles. Probably from the Clipper product range of Haffenden-Richborough.
6. Swim goggles. Probably from the Clipper product range of Haffenden-Richborough.
7. Snorkel tube with ball valve. Probably from the Clipper product range of Haffenden-Richborough.
8. Diving mask. Probably E. T. Skinner & Co. (Typhoon) Blue Star model.
9. Heinke Hans Hass Swim Mask box containing the following mask:
Hans-Hass-Mask-with-Box.jpg

10. Speargun. Help wanted in identifying manufacturer and model!
11. Single-snorkel mask with ball valve and oval faceplate. Manufacturer unknown.
12. Adjustable open-heel swim fins. Probably from the Clipper product range of Haffenden-Richborough.
13. Snorkel tube with ball valve. Probably from the Clipper product range of Haffenden-Richborough.
14. E. T. Skinner & Co. (Typhoon) Blue Star Diving Mask box containing the following mask:
s-l1600a.jpg

Thank you for your attention. Please feel free as well to complete, or correct any errors in, the information I have posted about these fourteen items.

Last edited:
The name is written on the grip handle. Espadon, Peche Sport and Beuchat are the same company, different markets used the alterrnate names.
tarzan.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DRW
Thank you so much, Pete. I was hoping you would respond to my plea for information. I just hadn't noticed the name "Tarzan" embossed there in plain sight on the grip handle!
464505671.jpg
The fact that the Tahiti gun is a Beuchat product may well be significant. The photograph above from which I extracted the close-up I posted in my original message also showed a scuba set visible bottom right. Here it is again below in close-up:
BJ354H(1)_detail3.jpg

The scuba set regulator is a Submarine Products Atlantic. I know a bit about Submarine Products because the company was headquartered in Hexham in North East England about 25 miles from where I live. The company's 1960 catalogue featured the Beuchat (Tarzan) Tahiti speargun (entry below):
SP_1960.jpg
Submarine Products became the UK "sole agent" for Beuchat in 1959. So the Sheffield sports store would likely have ordered the speargun using the catalogue of Submarine Products that they may also have used when ordering the Atlantic regulator. Thanks again!

Those guns sold because people did not know much about diving, otherwise they would have used a rubber loop propelled handspear instead. Little more than short range jabbers there were a number of different models using this same principle as they were balanced with their mid-handles and had a short propulsion stroke.

Reactions: DRW
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT