• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

September Fish Report.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mike Bradshaw

Aug 1, 2006
Fish Report.

I decided to get up at sparrows fart to launch at Littlehampton to get a last dive in at Kingmere before the first autumn gale due in the next day or so.
Launched at six am in the dark but the river was clear and the sea flat as a millpond.After seeing the sun come up and the tide start to ease enough to get in ,I dived on a warm up mark,first dive four bass moved away as I dropped onto a large rock .
Second dive one came back in to look at me ! fist fish in the boat.
Later after fishing a second mark and getting the 8lb bass in the picture, out of a ledge ,I moved to my best mark as the tide was now slack.
I anchored about 10 metres away from the mark dropped down straight onto the raised ledge part of the hole,I tucked in close to the entrance to see if anything would come out.Four bass all between 8 -9 pounds came out completely unaware of me,as I was fresh I decided to wait to see if anything else would follow, a few seconds passed and I thought I would move into the main entrance just as I started towards the hole a massive head came out with a deep body.
I hit it just above the lateral line it roared off back into the hole and out of a split some feet away.
I could see the fish tearing its flank on the double barb,grabbing the fish in midwater I killed it with the knife and headed for the surface.
After sorting out the line,spear etc I went looking for some more ground close by, seeing a bass in midwater I dived between two large rocks I had not found before, bass scattered in every direction all over 8lb! I took marks and just managed to get back to the boat as the tide ripped back up.
Having some time I dropped over to Bognor to fish some pinnacles but only saw large shoals of mullet.
Mick and Trotsky were fishing inshore and had some bass up to 8lb (both had floats).
Getting back to the ramp two fishing boats were waiting to be recovered and they kindly weighed my fish,*the big one was 16 .5lb dropping to 16.25lb by the time I got home.
A magic September day!
Best regards
Mike.

Attachments

• Happy boy.jpg
    Happy boy.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: scallywag
Wow, very nicely done! Is this the end of the season, or do you continue to hunt year-round?

Monster!! well done - fantastic catch....
I seem to remember you had an even bigger bass a few years back, 17lb maybe?

Last edited:
We try to continue after the first gales of late summer but the waters take a few days to clear up and the weather systems hit us more frequently.
The days when we can go decrease. some years we are lucky and we can dive into December but this is rare. The fish migrate to deep water and south to warmer waters into the Med and down the African coast.
Some stay through the winter but water temperatures drop to single figures in Jan/Feb and don't recover until April /May.
Breaking the ice to launch the boat is not pleasant and 4% water quickly gets through the thickest suits. Most of us leave it from October onwards and wait for Spring.

Mike I think you can get top place in the hall of fame with that fish, I will get Bob to sort it out for you...

Thats truely amazeing thats got to be best report and fish of the year .well done .

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT