• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Setup for 50kg bluefin tuna

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Demipouce

Aug 17, 2017
Hi guys,

I have the opportunity to do my first bluewater trip this weekend on sunday and I am a bit scared of being undergunned ...

We are looking at spearing some bluefin tunas ranging from 30 to 60kg.

My friend is experienced and has the various floats and bluewater gun.

On my end I only have a 130 Beuchat with 2 rubbers and 7.5mm shaft and a 30L high pressure float. Whilst I am not too worried about the float because I can borrow, I am worried about my gun setup ... I don't quite have the budget to buy a new gun and bluewater diving isn't something I will be doing a lot of, so I was thinking of doing this option to add some reassurance and I was hoping to get some of your feedbacks.

Adding a third rubber, changing to a 8mm double flopper shaft and adding a breakaway line.

Would that be quite sufficient ?

Thank you

I was down a Bermagui chasing them this week & we marked them all day at 50m but had had trouble cubing them up from that depth. The moon is looking better now going forward & they will also move closer to Sydney hopefully in the next couple of weeks. It's probably a bit late to get used to a new gun, but is there any chance of getting a 7.5 threaded spear & fitting a 7mm slip tip? It isn't going to turn your gun into a cannon but it should work if you keep shots under 6m from the muzzle. The photo below shows a pair of spears I use in one "small" gun. In the gun is a 1.9m x 7.5mm straight shaft & beside it is a 1.8m x7.5mm threaded shaft with a 7mm slip tip adding the extra length. I think this is your best bet on such short notice. Does your gun stock weigh 4.5kg? If not going to a third rubber may not be wise. I'm also not a fan of double floppers, a good fitting slip tip like a "mori" is best. Really one of the advantages of being in a club is having access to this sort of kit at short notice, I have several big guns on loan over the next few days & every club in Sydney has several people doing the same.
26230191_577458615930724_9067397190924293797_n.jpg

Last edited:
It`s no good for 130 Beuchat add a third rubber becouse Beuchat very easy gun and it willl be big recoil. Also trigger mechanism quite a weak for 3 rubbers. Also Beuchat not a sturdy one and pipe from 3 rubbers will be deformed. For the big fish very recommended slip tip.

I`m using Teak sea Hyperion 135. it`s enough. 3 rubbers 16 mm + slip tip + shaft 8 mm 160sm
https://teak-sea.com/en/spearguns/hyperion/
Very reliable gun very accurat great maneuverability. But you must to have very good rigging. Look video marlin just breaking away and taking with him shaft + sliptip

Never shot or seen a blue marlin hopefully one day I'll bump into one when out chasing blacks & stripes. That water looks a bit green, I tend to think of them as a very oceanic fish, certainly more so than blacks which we often see in green coastal water. What ocean did you spear this in?

It`s not me, it`s me friend. Thailand. The Andaman sea. The gun bleutec oceanborn 125

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT