• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shaft/spear with flat-trident for RA Snapper 70 cm

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

valdim

Jul 23, 2019
Hello guys,
I am thinking about preparing a second shat that I can put when I want to shoot this fish:

I have a Rob Allen Snapper 70 cm, 2* 14 mm slings, 6,3 mm/110 cm shaft, with line release. So, I want to have another shaft with same parameters, but with threaded tip and possibility to put trident point for the above fish.
What brand/type of shaft you would suggest me to find? If it is thinner, would that change the hydrodynamics?
I was thinking also just to fix on the present RA shaft the below trident , with pig ties or some wire, but when I did it, the trident tip stays not in line with the shaft (ofc). I am afraid such position would change the trajectory of the shot...Any ideas for a cheap and fast solution with the existing shaft and tip?

Some prefer all metal multi-prong heads, which don't break as easily. They are intended for closer shots than regular spears.

Reactions: valdim
Just for garfish. It has a small wing nut/ screw on the opposite side which doesn't effect accuracy much.
We have a very large species list (only one fish of each species however) on some of our competitions & garfish score quite well so its worth keeping one of these up your sleeve.

Attachments

• 67801775_10211847910313713_4899633506558148608_n.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 218
Reactions: valdim
Just for garfish.
Garfish, yes! Sharkey, this is a great idea! One can use it on multiple shafts, too.
I guess the screw in on the other short side of the metal body. But isn't the latter heavy?
Would you provide more details or may be a drawing, even if it is hand drawing.
Thanks for sharing, even the pic gives the idea.

Yes, garfish are really tricky with a regular spear tip. Good idea, although I don't see them frequently enough for it to be a major consideration.

Another question, sharkey - what is the working range of this spear? If possoble, pls provide info, for the gun, too.

The two on the right are my current competition guns. I am currently using Pathos spears in these two because they are the most accurate spear by a country mile over all the other brands we have tested. As for the little trident they are accurate enough to shoot a garfish a few m from the muzzle (we are only talking about garfish, hardly a cryptic species). I only take it in some comps & would shoot maybe only 6 garfish a year & only in comps. If I am jumping into an area I know they will be, I put this up my sleeve. It maybe is used only 15 mins on a gun per year. I will include a basic Sydney scoresheet for competitions so you can see why I have them. We can shoot only one of each species, most fish are weighed, but a few like garfish are measured. Garfish score well, better than say a 10kg kingfish, the comps are about having the greatest set of skills, not just being able to find one or two species, they usually run for 4-5 hours.

Reactions: Mr. X
Hi again,
Thanks for the pics and the clarification, shakey.
I discussed with a lathe man your picture with the DIY trident and we "invented" something similar (see the attached pic). It will be made from aluminium, thread to the plastic-base trident that I showed in my first post, and fixed to the spear with two threaded nuts. I hope it would not make the spear tip too heavy, but at the end of the day the gar fish doesn't swim more than 2 m away from the spear tip... The body would be like 17mm in diam and 50 mm long
Any disadvantages that you, guys , may see?

Attachments

• IMG_20190925_114811.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 289
Well, this is the solution that I finally found for the garfish hunt (see attached file).
I hope to hear forum's opinion.
Tomorrow it will be tested , if there is pray ...
Thanks for all buddies who commented and gave ideas and support!

Attachments

• IMG_20191001_094625.jpg
    913.8 KB · Views: 290
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…