• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shaft/spear with flat-trident for RA Snapper 70 cm

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

valdim

Jul 23, 2019
Hello guys,
I am thinking about preparing a second shat that I can put when I want to shoot this fish:
1569162472170.png

I have a Rob Allen Snapper 70 cm, 2* 14 mm slings, 6,3 mm/110 cm shaft, with line release. So, I want to have another shaft with same parameters, but with threaded tip and possibility to put trident point for the above fish.
What brand/type of shaft you would suggest me to find? If it is thinner, would that change the hydrodynamics?
I was thinking also just to fix on the present RA shaft the below trident , with pig ties or some wire, but when I did it, the trident tip stays not in line with the shaft (ofc). I am afraid such position would change the trajectory of the shot...Any ideas for a cheap and fast solution with the existing shaft and tip?
1569163065538.png

Some prefer all metal multi-prong heads, which don't break as easily. They are intended for closer shots than regular spears.

Reactions: valdim
Just for garfish. It has a small wing nut/ screw on the opposite side which doesn't effect accuracy much.
We have a very large species list (only one fish of each species however) on some of our competitions & garfish score quite well so its worth keeping one of these up your sleeve.

Attachments

• 67801775_10211847910313713_4899633506558148608_n.jpg
    67801775_10211847910313713_4899633506558148608_n.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 210
Reactions: valdim
Just for garfish.
Garfish, yes! Sharkey, this is a great idea! One can use it on multiple shafts, too.
I guess the screw in on the other short side of the metal body. But isn't the latter heavy?
Would you provide more details or may be a drawing, even if it is hand drawing.
Thanks for sharing, even the pic gives the idea.

Yes, garfish are really tricky with a regular spear tip. Good idea, although I don't see them frequently enough for it to be a major consideration.

Just for garfish. It has a small wing nut/ screw on the opposite side which doesn't effect accuracy much.
We have a very large species list (only one fish of each species however) on some of our competitions & garfish score quite well so its worth keeping one of these up your sleeve.
Another question, sharkey - what is the working range of this spear? If possoble, pls provide info, for the gun, too.

The two on the right are my current competition guns. I am currently using Pathos spears in these two because they are the most accurate spear by a country mile over all the other brands we have tested. As for the little trident they are accurate enough to shoot a garfish a few m from the muzzle (we are only talking about garfish, hardly a cryptic species). I only take it in some comps & would shoot maybe only 6 garfish a year & only in comps. If I am jumping into an area I know they will be, I put this up my sleeve. It maybe is used only 15 mins on a gun per year. I will include a basic Sydney scoresheet for competitions so you can see why I have them. We can shoot only one of each species, most fish are weighed, but a few like garfish are measured. Garfish score well, better than say a 10kg kingfish, the comps are about having the greatest set of skills, not just being able to find one or two species, they usually run for 4-5 hours.

29365727_610168205993098_1801953958533529600_n.jpg
fullsizeoutput_25.jpeg

Reactions: Mr. X
The two on the right are my current competition guns. I am currently using Pathos spears in these two because they are the most accurate spear by a country mile over all the other brands we have tested. As for the little trident they are accurate enough to shoot a garfish a few m from the muzzle
Hi again,
Thanks for the pics and the clarification, shakey.
I discussed with a lathe man your picture with the DIY trident and we "invented" something similar (see the attached pic). It will be made from aluminium, thread to the plastic-base trident that I showed in my first post, and fixed to the spear with two threaded nuts. I hope it would not make the spear tip too heavy, but at the end of the day the gar fish doesn't swim more than 2 m away from the spear tip... The body would be like 17mm in diam and 50 mm long
Any disadvantages that you, guys , may see?

Attachments

• IMG_20190925_114811.jpg
    IMG_20190925_114811.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 283
Well, this is the solution that I finally found for the garfish hunt (see attached file).
I hope to hear forum's opinion.
Tomorrow it will be tested , if there is pray ...
Thanks for all buddies who commented and gave ideas and support!

Attachments

• IMG_20191001_094625.jpg
    IMG_20191001_094625.jpg
    913.8 KB · Views: 286
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT