• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shaft Straightening

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mattedhead

Drying up inland...
Aug 28, 2002
I tried a search looking for info on straightening bent shafts but I couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any tips in this area. I had a grouper hole up under a ledge a few weeks ago and he did a number on a Riffe Euro shaft.:( It was that shafts first and last shot!...go figure. I think I will be buying a few of the RA shafts soon. Less than half the price!:hmm The other Riffe shaft has held up great though through numerous beatings by african pompano, cobia, grouper, etc...

Well, if nothing else the title of this thread should get some attention....I'm sure the peanut gallery will have some entertaining comments about my bent shaft. :D

Thanks,
Matt

Originally posted by Mattedhead

Well, if nothing else the title of this thread should get some attention....I'm sure the peanut gallery will have some entertaining comments about my bent shaft. :D

:hmm too easy...

hi

Matt be careful when trying to straighten it. I snapped one of my Ra spears not long ago trying to straighten it in a vice :duh

cheers

Matt, you can go to hardware store and get a small bottle of mapgas and tip for about $10.put shaft in vice and heat it up w/gas.Slowly push it straight w/pliers.after it is almost straight put on floor and roll it.You`ll see what needs to be straight and then repeat this.you can also walk on it while hot and push alot of it straight w/ you`r weight.in all it takes about 15 mins.:)

good luck trying to get the shaft straight. I doubt no matter how hard you try, you wont get it to shoot like before.

Personally, i wouldnt spend the money on a riffe euroshaft. I recommend the RA shafts because of their low price and soft steel. This allows the shaft to bend and return to its original shape without damage. Granted, if you bend it too far it will ruin but it will last longer than the Euroshaft. The euroshaft is made of high quality steel which is hard to bend but when it does, you will NOT get it straight.

I'm not sure about heating up a shaft. If that shaft has been heat tempered, you will effectively ruin that temper and severely weaken the shaft. We have done it the hard way by putting it in a vice then trying to bend it but like Ivan said, be careful about snapping the shaft.

Brad

Matt, if you want to try and straighten the shaft (and I would since you have nothing to lose) I would go the torch and vice route. Here is what I have done in the past with other metal things that I have bent into shape; get the shaft as hot as possible try and bend in back into shape while wearing some very heavy gloves. After getting it straight, heat it up again and cool it off with oil (I think motor oil will work) and you should have a shaft that is both straight and hard :D . Now I have never done this to a shaft and I don't know how the stainless steel is going to harden with the oil but I have done it to other things and it has worked. I have friends from Cuba that use to make their own knives for fishing and diving and they would harden the steel by cooling it off in oil. If you decide to try this be very careful and let me know how it works out for you.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT