• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shaft threaded vs. regular?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
So no need for Loctite at all?
Loctite is semi-permanent. You do not want it if you are planning on changing tips in the water. If you are doing Blue Water or hunting where there are no rocks - you can have shaft dedicated to that conditions so you can loctite the tip. I travel (fly) and carry all my stuff to the destination so I minimize my weight and for me loctite is yet another suspicious liquid plus extra weight albei a very small one. I use polyester thread that I need for fixing my gear any way. You need like 2 inches of it :)

Reactions: DivingNomad
Will the Teflon tape prevent the tip from unscrewing from the shaft accidentally or when a fish fights back and possibly turn the tip off the shaft?

I guess I should add that Teflon tape will probably be like the lightest loctite. I will be hard to unscrew by hand if you want to change tips in the water. But I don’t do that.

Reactions: DivingNomad
I guess I should add that Teflon tape will probably be like the lightest loctite. I will be hard to unscrew by hand if you want to change tips in the water. But I don’t do that.
I probably won't do that in the water anyways. Perhaps I'd do it if I am diving from a boat. If having a "spare" is critical, I'd take a second gun anyways.

Now, any recommendations on what type of tip is used for what type of fish/conditions in general? I know that the big slip tips are for big fish but there are several other tips, for example JBL has many types:

Perhaps the question is so broad and it will be difficult to answer but I am interested in hearing from the spearos here that use different type of tips on when they use what tip for what :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT