• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shallow Water Blackouts & Short QT

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jacob Staton

Aug 19, 2015
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I think this is the proper place to post this question.

Background Info on me:
19 Year old male in good shape, can statically hold breath for just over 4 minutes, currently in USAF Special Operations pipeline, has 4 shallow water blackouts, recently diagnosed with Short QT Syndrome.

So essentially I'm looking for more information on the correlation between SWB's and having Short QT. In my training we have to complete a 50m underwater (which is why I'm asking the opinion of free divers), and while I've completed a 50m before as well as a highly selective special operations course containing a lot of water confidence training, lately I have been unable to do the 50m, and was pulled from training and found that an
EKG shows I have Short QT. I've found very little information on this (only that having SQT can trigger a SWB and Sudden Cardiac Arrest) and how it can affect my underwaters, and I'm hoping experienced knowledgeable guys here can shed some light on how serious this is, if anyone knows anything about it, or could direct me to someone who does.

For those of you wondering this could be a career ending diagnosis. If you guys need any other info please let me know.

Shit.
Man I would be surprised if they let you into the water with that dx. The possibility of BO in water is a possible death sentence.
Even if they do, brother, you might think about the consequences, if not for you, then people that care about you.
I've never heard of a freediver with that syndrome so I can't speak to that; I just think it might not matter.
I've faced something similar in the past in that I was permanently deferred from a career I wanted, so if that happens then do your best and carry on.
Whatever you do, thanks for your service, and best wishes.

Reactions: John B Griffith Jr
Jacob, first let me say "Hooah!" Sua Sponte, brother. I had to do a little research, as Short QT is a new one to an old goat like me...and I read this "The most common initial presenting symptom is cardiac arrest (in one-third of cases); other patients may present with palpitations or syncope due to rapid atrial fibrillation or self-terminating ventricular arrhythmia". I'm not a medical expert, but I have seen a lot of fine soldiers receive a diagnosis for something that, until they were presented with the specific stressors of military life/operations/physical demands, they had no idea they had. Short QT seems, on initial review of three or four websites, to be an absolute contraindication to any diving-related activity. The risk that the unique trigger factors in diving on the human physiology could cause you to have a cardiac incident would immediately preclude you from continued diving activity.

I didn't make it through SF Selection in the Army...but I am an Airborne Ranger, and I appreciate the unique challenges that you are facing...and the desire to drive on and pursue that dream. I would have a very serious and honest face to face with the USAF medical personnel, a cardiologist and the AFSOC personnel. Your safety and the safety of your fellow PJ's is paramount. Best of luck and best wishes for a satisfactory resolution! "Any Time, Any Place"

Reactions: Erik
Given that the SQT syndrome was only discovered in the last 15 years, and is pretty rare, it's going to be hard to find reliable info on the effects of SQT on freediving. On the plus side, the general lack of information is probably in your favor since it means the diagnosis may not be an automatic career-ender.

If you want to stay in the SF pipeline, I would take up meditation in very serious way. You can't fix the problem, but you might be able to compensate for it by staying calm and relaxed. If you can get your risk of blackout down into the "normal" range through lots of practice and a heroic amount of willpower, I don't see why the condition should be the end of your goals.

You've done the 50m before, so you are obviously physically capable of it. I would also suggest doing some research on Overtraining Syndrome. I'm going to hazard a guess that you've been pushing yourself as hard as possible to get past this hurdle. There is a chance that just taking it easy on your body for a while may help.

Can't speak directly to the syndrome but for freedivers experiencing strong dive response, arrythmia which would be terrifying to a medical professional is the norm. Doesn't sound like a good mix to me, and anything which would interfere with that 'normal' part of dive response would be unwieldy or put you at risk for the type of hypoxic BO which dive response delays...

Good luck, be safe.

Edit: also if you are doing a lot hypoxic training but not showing improvement, it can be diet related--your intake/absorption of nutrients (especially iron) may be a limiting factor.

Reactions: Sorandril
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT