• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shaneshac shooting bluefin?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fuzz

Hawaiian transplant...
Sep 9, 2002
Spurred by his thread, I came across this picture on the Hawaii Skin Diver site...

"620 lb Blue Fin Tuna Caught Sept 12, 2003 in Spain. They Shot a total of three and landed one. Shot with 110cm puenmatic and euro 110cm. Just found this picture on another site. How'd you like to catch something like this??? WOW!!!"

Attachments

• bluefin.jpg
    bluefin.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 635
I think he's gonna land a bigger one and dont waste some injured!

Now that is one big ass fish... but hey... I am still waiting for my big fish.. this is how my fishes looked like most of this summer...

Pekka

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 527
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Pekka

That looks like a version of our Hottentot fish, which I've been shooting to get some practice! I am also waiting for my first big one, even a 'medium' one will be good for me this summer !

Jeff

the cost/selling price would be?

Harold,
Quite a photo!!!
Now we want to know: how much would that fish sell for in Japan!?
--- Can you link us to the site? The story of the hunt would be of interest for sure....thanks!

Last edited:
I got it from HERE

... but he took it from another site & I have been unable to find the source of it. What I posted here is the only info there.

Hi bluecape,

The fish in the picture is seabass.. it was about 1-1,5kg. I didn't get many pictures of me fishing as I was doing most ofmy fishing alone...

Hey, Memo

I think I am on my way to Turkey around easter time for some sailing... but I am more interested in the spearing side of it. How is the fishing around Easter in Turkey? What sort of fish would one expect to catch?

I don't know exactly where in the coast we will be, but somewhere there.. I'll let you know when I find out..

Pekka

Pekka when will you come in here? and more importantly where are you planning to come...

dude, if you are going to come after christmas, I can probabyl be available for a dive trip.

ps: Spearfishing of foreigners are forbidden in turkey but sure some rules can be stretched...

The chubby guy in the green suit is Fernando Abella a well known Spanish spearo who has dedicated himself to catching big species. He beat me to it!!!!!!!

As they say, all good things come to those who wait. 300 kilo tuna here I come HEHEHE

So am I. Gotta get my dad off his butt as it is his boat we are going to be using.

Originally posted by shaneshac
The chubby guy in the green suit is Fernando Abella a well known Spanish spearo who has dedicated himself to catching big species. He beat me to it!!!!!!!

As they say, all good things come to those who wait. 300 kilo tuna here I come HEHEHE

he looks like a blue fin, I think this the secret! :D

Damn........... I don't mind loosing all my guns just to land one of those blue brutes.

I am betting that soon the regular giant tuna hunters who have been hunting Guadalape or Rivegillegados ( spelling ? ) will come in and join the party. Just a matter of time.

If those two guns can land that giant, I am sure Shane's Totem should do as well. The BF must have swam very close, like 2 meters from the speartip or perhaps less.........now.....how fast & deep was that giant swimming.... :p.

Just imagine if the shots were not a stoned shot.........Roller Coaster Forever......

Hey guys,

Fernando Abella emailed me about this catch few days after the hunt and told me they're going to publish the story (and the 'special Spanish-style' bluewater technique) in a printed magazine (I wanted to get it on my site). I e-mailed him few weeks ago to find out which magazine exactly, but I still don't have an answer... However, my suggestion is that it will be either the French 'Apnea' (F Abella has contributed regularly for that title).
If I get any answer, I'd post it here.

Ivan

Hi Memo, I think I am on my way to Turkey around Easter time.. so not any time soon.. and the trip is one of those "Sun-Sail" things, so I'll be on a boat for a week... hopefully spearing when not moving too fast..:)
I'll let you know as soon as I know when exactly and where...
And are you serious that it is illegal to hunt if you are not native??
That sounds soggy... :(

Pekka

Originally posted by Pekka
Hi Memo, I think I am on my way to Turkey around Easter time.. so not any time soon.. and the trip is one of those "Sun-Sail" things, so I'll be on a boat for a week... hopefully spearing when not moving too fast..:)
I'll let you know as soon as I know when exactly and where...
And are you serious that it is illegal to hunt if you are not native??
That sounds soggy... :(

Pekka

I know a sunsail school at Bodrum very close to my summer house, if you will be there then we will sure meet some time. Unfortunately spearfishing is illegal to foreigners in Turkey but if you behave clever no prob. I've been going to scuba trips for 6 years and spearfishing for 15+ and no officer asked my license or checked me if I'm native. Just dive at the lonely places and there will be no problem.

I've got a question ....

How in the name of all that's holy do you string that fish?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT