• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

shark fishing!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sixshooter4

May 15, 2008
Hey boys,
So I have been spear fishing for a few years now and I have a question that im sure has come up in the past but I would like to ask again. (admin feel free to delete thread and direct me in the right direction if you feel the need)
Shark hunting!
I have been in numerous situations when I had a 5-8 foot black tip (YUM!) at close range where I was extremely tempted to take a shot. I know that hunting such a large fish can be dangerous especially one that is known to attack divers but I always hunt with groups and have about a 3 ½ minute breath hold. I am confident I can tackle the beast if I had the right information. So I am asking the following.
1) Are there other species that are known to be good eating?
2) Where is the best place to stick him? where is the stone shot located on a shark? a place the shaft wont rip out?
3) Is there a special rig I should use for such a kill? Float line and buoys I assume?
4) For the many of you with years of experience on me, do you have any other tips or pointers?

thanks for the help :friday

Mako = tasty
Sharks = big fish, very strong, will destroy your gear and are a complete bitch to kill.
Advice: don't do it unless the sharks wants to eat you. They are not worth the effort and there chinese are slaughtering them at such a rate there will soon be very few of them left.

We don't get many sharks where I am. Having said that it does seem world wide to be a bit taboo to shoot them. Porbeagles are our local shark and they are good eating. In Australia they call shark meat "flake" and it is supposed to be one of the best eating fish.

I guess if you were going to shoot a shark it would need to be one of the smaller ones, one that tasted good and one that was not an endangered species. If these 3 conditions apply then why not?

Dave.

there is almost tan over abundance of black tip sharks here in the gulf, they are all smaller in size but the sharks that sit right at 5ft taste the best and have enough meat to make all the work of skinning and cleaning it worth it. I have eaten many sharks all of which where caught on rod and reel and like I said I am just really intrigued and interested in taking one with a spear.

besides I cant stop dreaming about fresh grilled shark steaks MMMMmmmmmm :inlove

Shark meat has a high level of mercury. Not the best idea.

I suffered from mercury poisoning as a kid.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…