• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shark shield

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yes Mark, that's true, that's why i always dive with caution and an expert and determined diving buddy (Manuel) we take care of each other, this side of the blue is not as frequent to have nasty experiences with sharks, but that's why, we don't dive that frequently, nor stay in the water too long. Toto, our diver mentor has really dangerous encounters, the last one was with a Mako, that went directly after him and he stoned him with his five band gun with a solid hit on the head, the scary part was he didn't noticed the shark until it was really close so the attacks DOES Happen, that's why i am concerned, cause i know very close people with that kind of experiences, from year to year of course. But we love the graysuits nevertheless, they are so cool and beautiful .. we really don't want to harm them that's why the SH SH is so attractive, a little pricy though ...

Hi Seaman,

I completely agree about the use of the Sharkshiled for the reasons you mentioned. You have to be less defensive with a Sharkshield compared to say a more aggressive and manual aproach of preparing a powerhead or considering shooting a shark. It's a piece of mind more than anything. Sharks appear sometimes in the worst possible moments, after you've shot a fish and your gun is unloaded or you're far away from a buddy or the boat. Its happened to me several times. When the original shark Pod came out of South Africa, prior to the better designed and more user friendly Shark Shield available now, I was interested in the technology right away. I was later sold on it after trying it and that's why we started selling them. Not one to try and sell gimmicks...The spearfisherman's Freedom 4 version is $450 by the way, not $600.

We have a lot of sharks in North Carolina as was just witnessed by half the entrants of the Omer Hatteras Open this August, and unfortunately I've had to shoot some big beautiful sharks that I regretted doing so later but didn't have much choice at the time. Once was a big Lemon Shark about 9ft that was cruising in a group with three or four others and were getting bolder and bolder, a couple other times some relentless Sand bar sharks, and the ones I never regret shooting for a second were the nasty bull sharks. Those guys will take a piece of you if they can and second guessing their intentions is not a smart option. Needless to say it's in the best interest of both parties involved when the fight is broken up by a muscle spasm electric field instead of ending up in a do or die duel :ko

The point, which I think some people still don't understand, is that we are guests in a wild environment playing games not for survival while the animals we're playing with are doing so for survival, so I think it's always best to have to kill a competing predator as a last possible resort or find another way out like the Shark Shield. Not to mention its not good press here in the US to kill sharks and they're federally protected.

Mark

About the price o f the Sh Sh. In Mexico we have to pay a really high importation tax, i have paid recently $350 usd of taxes for a $1200 purchase ( spearfishing equipment of course) so the price of the Sh Sh, would be about 600 or higher, Next time a buddy from the states drops by i will get one, by know i am taming my wife with sweetness :inlove so i can explain later to her :girlie the next purchase of masculine sport equipment, he hehe, i hope some day we have better s.fishing dealers around

Had my S/S on while diving last week and didnt have a shark come close while Burling up or Shooting fish so it did the Job.( all the other divers got buzzed)
I have a crook shoulder and one of the Guys on the boat ( Glass center console ) was giving me a arm up i forgot to turn the S/S of, when the Whip contacted the ally side rails it sent two huge jolts through the boat and the two divers on board, they jumped 10 feet, ( does wonderfull things to the groin region )
I havnt laughed that much in years.
Now they can see why sharks dont like it

Crusty

Hiya

One of the greatest dis-advantages of using a shark shield, is the false sense of security it gives you. I've done very stupid things, like diving in 3m viz. at Struisbaai, which is a KNOWN great white shark area, with my shark shield on. With the little more experience i've gained, i now realise how stupid that was. (To put it into perspective, i am PETRIFIED of Great Whites!!!)

The manufacturers warn you that shark shield isn't a 100% guarantee against a shark attack. I've heard stories, some claiming that the unit works exceptionally well, whilst i've heard the odd stories of the unit failing to protect the diver. If you have a great phobia of sharks, the Shark Shield is worth every cent, even if it is just for the peice of mind it gives you!!:D:D

My motto is now pretty simple, if the water is dirty, i don't dive. If there are ANY sharks around, (especially if they're mid-water or on the surface), i simply leave the area and find another reef.

Burleying whilst there are sharks around is looking for trouble. I've seen documentaries where sharks get into such a feeding frenzy, that one shark, even though it was bitten in half by another shark, kept on feeding!!! In situations like that, NOTHING will keep you safe if a shark has decided that you are food!!:(:(

At the end of the day, whether you're diving with or with-out a shark shield, let COMMON SENSE prevail!!:D:D

Regards
miles

One of the greatest dis-advantages of using a shark shield, is the false sense of security it gives you. I've done very stupid things, like diving in 3m viz. at Struisbaai, which is a KNOWN great white shark area, with my shark shield on.

Wow, you are a nut Miles rofl Imagine if your battery died and you still had a 100 yard swim back to the boat :waterwork I must agree though, with the Shark Shield I am not as worried when I'm not shoulder to shoulder with a dive buddy and that alone is probably not safe. My buddies on the other hand flock to me like flies on s__t.

Tom, check your PM. Thanks, Mark

I've been using the shark shield for 2 years in NC. The shield works. Last summer I spreared a Wahoo that ended up in the Barracuda buffet. I was pulling up what was left of the fish to salvage a few filets for dinner and a Bull came up charging fast to the Wahoo. When he hit the radius of the shield :duh he went back down as fast as he came up :waterwork . If he passed on a Wahoo on a spear then I'd rate the shield as very effective.

Dive Safe,
Pat Johnson

Last edited:
From what I have seen, The unit works unless it was off when the sharky started munching on your leg, and you then try and turn it on. I would assume with most cases where it doesn’t work, the unit was either subjected to miss treatment, or in extremely cold water conditions, which drains the battery life quicker, or the battery unit itself has gone past the 500 charge/recharge cycles. I have to say that sharks never worried me too much but lately with all the attacks, and sightings around our diving waters I am seriously contemplating getting myself one of these. Miles does raise a very valid point though, don’t let this little gadget lure you into a false sense of security, It might protect you under most conditions but there is always the off chance that something can go wrong.

I think the last thing you want is the antenna to get stuck and rip off while you have five very inquisitive GWS circling you. So, my opinion about this: If you have a shark pod unit, and there are aggressive shark species around. Then get out of the water and find a new diving location. With a shark pod, and a loaded powerhead I still wouldn’t feel too safe when i have shadow's circling me. This device does give you a great opportunity to get out of the water safely when there are inquisitive sharks around. And that at the end of the day is more than enough peace of mind if you ask me.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT