• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shark tip

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kmo

Fish killer
Oct 31, 2005
I've just been on a brief camping trip with a guy who used to dive and fish professionaly out of northern Queensland in Australia. He is pretty experienced and has captained a few boats in his time.

He gave me the tip that when you pull up to a spot to dive, you should turn your engine off for about ten minutes before you jump in. Apparently a lot of shark attacks occur almost as soon as the diver hits the water because a lot of fish and sharks are drawn to the noise of the engine.

Whether this is curiousity or a learnt response from professional fishing boats processing fish at sea I'm not sure, but I'm reading a book on shark attacks at the moment and it seems to fit pretty well with quite a few attacks on divers.

Anyway, I'm posting this here to see if many others have heard similiar ideas and what opinions you guys have on this?

I think that chumming and fighting bleeding fish are probably more dangerous than diving straight off the boat, but if it makes you feel more comfortable about entering the water then its worth trying.

Yeah KMO
I would do the same as some half back flankers go out feeding sharks from boats to attract them for the tourists on board. They begin to recognise the vibrations of the engine as food.

If your wife dives with you it is best to get her to jump in first.

We have had sharks here in WA attacking the props on boats.

Reactions: seaman
Very interesting, I saw this happen to me this past summer. On about 3 or 4 occasions (drift diving), I would hit the water from a “running” boat and as soon as I got to the bottom I would be met by 1 or 2 bull sharks (one time about 10 bulls in the span of 2 min, but that is another story). I thought it was just a coincidence!

John

Poida said:
Yeah KMO ...

If your wife dives with you it is best to get her to jump in first..

rofl rofl rofl rofl

I had always the impulse to invite my mother in law to a diving trip, now i have a purpose!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT