• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shark Tips (and my poor barracuda)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
do the black striped ones taste better than the ,(regular florida) ones?[/quote]

To be honest they (blackfin) are actually not bad. White meat tender and flakey and s#$% tons of it! I just don't ever eat them when there are other good fish to eat.

There has been a few times when the meat looked grey and it had a dark green (almost black) slimey substance on it. The market rejected one because of it. I asked a Marine Biologist about it and he said it was due to the large amount of squid in there diet.

I never shoot the great barracudas uless they are small. I shot a couple of big ones that were ciguatoxic.

Skip

I shot that fish off of Oka towers off to the right ....a little bit before you get to those old eroded stairs leading down the cliffside in about 60ft of water before the drop-off. I havent tried fishing off the bouys since my friend (with boat) left the island and the caretaker of his boat neglected to fix the outboard. So for the time being i am a shore diver. I have tried that bouy to the left of magundus (spelling) and out about a mile or two....got a couple of mahi-mahi but that was almost a year ago. I miss the boat days.....even though i almost died multiple times...it's all in good fun:blackeye ...storms, sharks dogtooth wrapping line around you and going straight towards the bottom...etc.... but i appreciate all of the good advice about barracuda hunting...and the criticisim (they taste good btw..i eat what i kill, or sell it...nothing goes to waste) keep the info coming, i am always learning.

-Pete

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…