• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

sharks in the uk

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spearheads

Matt H
Dec 18, 2005
i have been told by quite a few people and on tv that sharks are in uk waters i dont realy belive them because some body would of been attacked by now if there was sharks in the uk does any body else think that there is any (by sharks i been man eatingrofl not baskin sharks and dogfishrofl )

I'll let the english mates of DB answer fo the UK, but mind that skarks are all over the world, the sea has no borders. Here in Tuscany (central Italy) the last fatality was 15 years ago in the Gulf of Baratti. One man eaten in 15 years is no statistic relevant, but he could have been me...So I go with no fear, but knowing that some day I could meet one.

I have personally been buzzed by Porbeagal sharks more than once at Portland, Breakwater/Bill point and Westside on the drop offs. I know of several other divers who have had similar encounters here, bottle divers have had fun with them on the shambles sand banks. They are normally only interested in the fish on my float, but still make for a interesting dive!

A friend of mine has an interesting story of a Mako in Cornwall (Spearo Dave). Always Blue sharks out in the channel (often seen on or near the Eddystone), and the odd Thresher also been seen but they are normally very shy sharks.

Stories of Great Whites in Cornwall, the food source is there for them and the water temp is just right, so see no reason why they shouldn't be there.

So the next time you dive in UK waters just think about the jaws theme tune, does wonders for your bottom time!

ok now you have scared me i was hoping you were going to say theres no sharks relax im giving up spearfishing and starting golfrofl rofl rofl

As far as I know there has never been a recorded shark attack on a spearo in British waters. Last year there was an incident where a local line fisherman was injured by a large Porbeagle. You can find shark information in the Guernsey threads, both last years & the 2006 thread contains associated shark stories. I was once at an auction where the auctioneer was offering an oil painting depicting an attack on a sailor cleaning the hull of his boat. The painting showed a large shark with the sailor in its mouth. This was explained to be a recording of the only known Great White Shark attack in England! I seem to remember the painting was dated around 1800.

There is no reason a Great White won't venture into UK waters.I know they have been spotted in the Bay of Biscay and we certainly have dolphins,small whales,tuna and even turtles in UK waters so the food is there.

As with golf spearheads i've met my fair share of sharks on the golf course rofl rofl

Just keep diving no point worrying about it there are more important things to think about while spearing which will keep you alive...

There is no reason a great white won't swim up from the Mediterranean, BUT the fact that despite huge amounts of commercial fishing gear strung and towed all the way from the Bay of Biscay to Iceland there has NEVER been a GWS caught north of La Rochelle, in France.
Thus it makes it entirely possible that GWS have a predetermined range that they stick to and waters north of 50ºN are not part of their range.
It is unlikely that you will be attacked by a shark but the possibility of a Blue or Porbeagle being attracted by dead fish is always a possibility.
Some more info here : http://www.zoo.co.uk/~z9015043/medsaf1.html

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Sharks/ISAF/ISAF.htm

A good way to tell if there are sharks in the water in which you dive is the taste test. If it tastes salty, there are sharks in it. There are over 300 species and only about 5 are dangerous (and some of them are debatable). There is always the possibility that your speared fish could attract one if they are in the area, but the chances of that happening AND it being dangerous AND it attacking you are incredibly small. You stand more chance of being struck by lightning or dying of a bee-sting. Spear away and don't fear the grey suits!

just looked on the shark attack file and there has been 3 attacks in the uk and ireland:crutch :waterwork

A bit of light reading for you from Deeperblue "Guernsey" forums.

http://forums.deeperblue.net/558084-post106.html

http://forums.deeperblue.net/558167-post107.html

http://forums.deeperblue.net/558402-post108.html

http://forums.deeperblue.net/578690-post36.html

http://forums.deeperblue.net/578696-post37.html

http://forums.deeperblue.net/578739-post45.html

http://forums.deeperblue.net/578838-post48.html

Nobody's mentioned the fact that Porgies make great eating. Maybe we should be out there looking for them. Beats the hell out of a half pound mullet anyway. :)

Dave

Reactions: foxfish
Hiya

If it tastes salty, there are sharks in it
Not entirely true!! Zambezi sharks (bull sharks) get their name from the fact that they've been found in the Zambezi river. They are known to travel into freshwater and even live in freshwater (rivers and lakes).

Spearheads, the chances of you getting attacked is very remote. Being fearful is good, as it stops us from doing stupid things, like diving in very dirty water or diving in rough sea's. Most divers are afraid of sharks. Its normal to be afraid. Once you start seeing sharks, you'll soon develop a healthy respect for them.

Enjoy your diving!!!

Regards
miles

You have already dived with sharks. They have seen you. Its just that you havn't seen them yet.

Spearheads-
What the Shark Attack File doesn't tell you is whether or not the attacks were provoked, and a fisherman trying to unhook a shark in the boat or a foolish diver grabbing one by the tail and being bitten can count as an attack. And anyway, 3 'attacks' in the period of time since the ISAF began isn't much to worry about.

if you ever saw one of these sharks would you worry or not i would panick if i was on the surface and saw one but not as much if on the bottom. i know the chances of seeing a shark is veary rare so being attacked must be veary rare i heard you got more chance of being hit on the head by a coconutrofl also do most of these sharks stay deep or do they come into the shore because i only spearfish from shore:)

Last edited:
Pav said:
You have already dived with sharks. They have seen you. Its just that you havn't seen them yet.

LOL. That's what I tell people. I've been diving 9 years and haven't seen anything more than a Nurse shark but doesn't mean they haven't seen me.

Now spearheads, don't worry: it is necessary to be relaxed when you go underwater. There are fundamentally three things you must be careful about:
-your own breath holding limits (surface before the air is over)
-your own depth limits (improve it step by step, prudently)
-other possible accidents (hit head on rocks, getting wrapped in fishing nets, current dragging you too far, waves smashing you against rocks)

§sharks may happen eventually, but are not an issue to us europeans.

dive safe and feel comfortable

Reactions: foxfish
One of the platforms I go to occasionally has 3 porbeagles living there . They are about 8` long and come to check divers out within 10 mins of being in the water. They have lived there for years and can make anyone a bit cautious/ downright nervous when working with them around.

Another large predator while working is the Orca and as far as I know there has not been a recorded case of a person ever being attacked .....however, neither do I want to be the first and when they are spotted while working it is good idea to return to a safe refuge/abort the dive.

I find it amusing listening to folk telling all and sundry they have nothing to worry about as they are statisticly safe.....these are usually the same folk that end up as a statistic.

Common sense usually worksrofl

spaghetti said:
Now spearheads, don't worry: it is necessary to be relaxed when you go underwater. There are fundamentally three things you must be careful about:
-your own breath holding limits (surface before the air is over)
-your own depth limits (improve it step by step, prudently)
-other possible accidents (hit head on rocks, getting wrapped in fishing nets, current dragging you too far, waves smashing you against rocks)

§sharks may happen eventually, but are not an issue to us europeans.

dive safe and feel comfortable
did nt know there was so many ways you could die spearfishingrofl rofl rofl

spearheads said:
did nt know there was so many ways you could die spearfishingrofl rofl rofl
I could even make a longer list: boats overrunning you, tangling lines keeping you down (these things actually happen) or what else?. But to stay on topic, sharks are really on the bottom of the list here in europe: no need of an anti-shark device, by now.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT