• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

shock absorber

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tommustoe1990

Jun 23, 2017
Hi everyone

Whats the need for a shock absorber and in what situations would you rely on one for?

Cheers
Tom

I assume that you are referring to the shock absorber between the muzzle of your gun and your shooting line? If so, the main function is to keep your shooting line stretched tight as it wraps around the line release, etc. of your gun. Without it, you would have to cut the shooting line to the perfect length. I suppose it also helps a bit in preventing tear-offs when a fish pulls hard, but I don't think that's a big deal with fish that are small enough so that they don't require a reel or float line.

I've seen people who used the shock absorber between the reel line and shooting line, but there is no need for that. The reel drag should be set light enough so that the fish can pull line off of the reel, and the shock absorber is just something else to cause tangles.

I see! Yes at the minute i dont have one and i have noticed my line that attaches to my spear and gun has stretched only after a couple of shoots.

So it is reccomended that i get a shock absorber then for the muzzle and end of line?

Cheers

Yes, one end attaches to the muzzle and the other end to a loop in the rear end of your shooting line. The shooting line will have to be shortened so that the shock absorber is stretched when the line is wrapped on the gun. Then the line will be held tight.

I probably haven't used one for at least 25 years so I haven't paid much attention, but I think they are all pretty much the same. Here is one that claims to last longer but it might involve international postage for you.

http://www.neptonicsystems.com/muzzle-bungee.php

The rubber on these things does seem to get rotten and crack pretty fast, so if the synthetic rubber lasts longer that would be a plus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Okay then.
I Will look into it. Could you reccomend one for a 60cm apnea gun?

Thanks for your time
Beuchat made one (e.g. from apnea.co.uk) that is lightweight & includes a small swivel clip - it is cheap but they don't last long, the rubber perishes & clips corrode but good enough to start with.

Omersub and many other companies offer medium weight alternatives for a little more, which are possibly a better option long term.

Currently I use "rubber bones" (from companies such as Omersub & Salivar) - or elastic bungee (thanks Foxfish ;) ) - wrapped around with Omersub braid to make a simple, light, effective muzzle bungees. Spaghetti told us that Italian spearos often use inner-tube rubber (I am imagining circular bands cut from a car-tyre/motorcycle-tyre sized inner tube but I expect other options are possible).

Rob Allen, etc. make nice, heavy duty muzzle bungees but I think they would be excessive (in weight, size, strength and cost) for your speargun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT