• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shooting Line rigging

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Murat

Promethian
Jun 21, 2002
I am using kevlar line but its not very durable. It wears every dive.

So i decided to use nylon shooting line with crimps. How long should i make a shooting line loop to don't catch by muzzle. :confused:

In the pictures of RA catalog, the loop ends just before the second notch of the spearshaft.. A smaller loop can cause a problem at the muzzle I think.

ps: why dont you use some high tech, thin, fishing line? western fillament has some gorgeous lines :) the 0.70mm could cope with 200lbs. http://users.acsol.net/~wfi/fish-tuf.html ,check out the tuf-line xp.

Last edited:
hi

Yeah Murat with Mono I always crimp it so the crimps are just behind the second notch and I have never had problems with getting caught in muzzle.

cheers

Originally posted by Memo
In the pictures of RA catalog, the loop ends just before the second notch of the spearshaft.. A smaller loop can cause a problem at the muzzle I think.

ps: why dont you use some high tech, thin, fishing line? western fillament has some gorgeous lines :) the 0.70mm could cope with 200lbs. http://users.acsol.net/~wfi/fish-tuf.html ,check out the tuf-line xp.

Are those line needs crimping?

I want to use that extra line that came with gun...

Originally posted by ivan
hi

Yeah Murat with Mono I always crimp it so the crimps are just behind the second notch and I have never had problems with getting caught in muzzle.

cheers

Thanks...

I am not sure if its mono, may be nylon or someting else but it doesn't matter...

those high tech fishing lines does not neet crimping, they only need a trusty good fishing knot ;) In myt opinion as long as you dont sacrifice your line strenght, the thinner the line the better it is. Thin lines have little drag which results in increased accuracy and range..

Yeah but most thin fishing line is not reliable enough to be shooting line. The thick fishing lines are same as nylon shooting line and they all need crimps.

those are only 0.70mm thick. I think the smallest crimp starts from 1.2mm but I'm not sure.

how thick is your current kevlar line? and the nylon one?

no idea...

The standart nylon one that came with gun has no sign on it.

I saw the line on your gun at a dive shop, isnt it the black shiny nylon line? I think its about 1.5mm. Well at the end its a matter of personal choice to go for thin or thick lines... I love the thin ones but they tangle a lot and need a lot of attention after each shot..

mmmm. dont you use a reel? is the nylon line long enough to fill a reel?

I have reel alluminium 30 that came with standart 30 meter line.

nylon line is just for spear reel line is different. Its not nylon

Becasue quality shooting line is much more expensive than reel line. You can not equip a reel with 1 dollar/meter kevlar. The standart reel lines that came with reel is low quality lines but has enough strength for most med sea fishes.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT