• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shooting lines...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi,
I just want to open a topic about all the popular shooting and reel lines. Please add your opinion.

So, whats the best shooting line in your opinion??

-- Monofilament?
-- Kevlar?
-- Spectra?
-- Memospec?
-- Dyneema?
-- Ordinary nylon?
-- Specialty fishing line?
-- or others?

share your experience :D

No question... 400lb monofilament.

Lost a spear once on a ~25lb striper but that was because I used electrical crimpers (despite every warning...seriously guys caugh up the 25 bucks and do it right the first time).

I've used dynema as shooting line but it's too expensive and had the line break on me once on a mahi mahi (not my setup but someone else's gun). The dynema is great for wishbones though. I use it on both guns a jbl 38 special and 120 wabitech. i actually tied small loops and fixed them to the bands and then tie a length between the loops w/ a bowline on each end. This way I can keep changing out the wishbone w/out retying whenevr they show wear. I picked that up from spearfishing.com.au's forum I believe... (don't think it was here but maybe).

I wouldn't mind using ss cable, but don't want the weight, meat hooks, or danger. I'm a little afraid of getting tangled and don't want to carry clippers (but it would be nice to not worry about getting cut off on wrecks etc).

Originally posted by defofthecrown
i actually tied small loops and fixed them to the bands and then tie a length between the loops w/ a bowline on each end. This way I can keep changing out the wishbone w/out retying whenevr they show wear. I picked that up from spearfishing.com.au's forum I believe... (don't think it was here but maybe).

*cough cough*

and I was gonna patent that too...;)
I didn't realise you were registered on Adreno?

I always tie a spare piece of dynema to the shark clip of my gun, that way of my dynema bridle snaps, I just tie the spare length onto the loops and away I go.

Heres the thread on Adreno.
edit: Stupid URL won't work because its too long for the software....

Heres the drawing of the loops and the dynema tied between them.

Attachments

• tie_in_bridle2.gif
    tie_in_bridle2.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 376
whew...been awhile since ive posted on here...

anyways on my guns i have 3 wraps of 400lb mono (the black kind) - strongest stuff there is, period... all my swivels are double crimped...mono has low drag and never tangles at all...its the only way to go. my first gun (AB Biller) came stock with the kevlar line which was a major pain with tangles, knots, etc untill i swapped it out for the mono... as far as your other questions - fishing line sounds like an accident waiting to happen:naughty

havent used spectra but my wishbones on my riffe are dyneema...starting to fray a bit...

Originally posted by LaJollaFreedvr
anyways on my guns i have 3 wraps of 400lb mono

welcome back ;)

3 wraps? You mean 3 lengths right? Never knew anyone to use 3 wraps :confused:

Great Idea!

Shadow, i'll pay you in karma for that idea, but i have to spread it around first.

Those knots were taught to me by Fabrizio from Totemsub. He uses it on the Tahiti bands.

Thought they would not hold when I first saw them, but they have given me no trouble at all.

I now carry a couple of lengths with me when I am diving, just in case it snaps i can change it easily.

He actually even uses the double knot to attach the reel line to the mono.

I'm thinking of using a stainless steel fishing clip to attach reel line to shooting line.

I use a brass swivel with a clip. So all I need is to open the clip to change shafts. The swivel also prevents the line getting twisted

okay . I also find brass crimps for the mono. I'm gonna get them as well.

just checked out the fishing box, I have many copper and SS swivels with clips :D :D

Originally posted by fuzz
3 wraps? You mean 3 lengths right? Never knew anyone to use 3 wraps :confused: [/B]

Now you do if he means three complete wraps- from the muzzle back to the line release, or 6 lengths total.

Plastic coated stainless for the blue stuff, spectra for the reef stuff, 300 lb black mono in the kelp.

I used kevlar and some other types of shooting line. Kevlar and all types of lines can be cut easily with wishbone. So now i am using standart lines that come with omer guns. Its 1.5mm nylon. I don't know if its the same with you calls monofilament. I use cable crimps too. They holds nice. The line is thin so does not effect shaft trajectory much.

Shane thats nice link you just posted;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT