• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shooting/reel lines

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Lutz, your question is very technical and I can't answer it here, maybe not anywhere(G). UHMWPE (polyethylene) fiber is manufactured in various countries under various names and there are overlapping and confusing designations for this material. Samson (AMSTEEL) is a principal source in the US. They have muddied the waters by attaching entirely new names to their products. For example, they make products such as Spectron12, Spectron 12+ and DYNEEMA SK 75. However, the dyneema is also called AMSTEEL BLUE and there is confusion (on my part) as to what they are calling the others and how they differentiate. Jeez. Some of these are prestretched and extremely high tensile, and some are not. However, the differences are irrelevant to spearos who are not as concerned about breaking strength as abrasion or cut resistance. The different grades are mostly of use to the sailboat and hang glider markets who are touchy about stretch and specific strength as well as UV resistance. Sheathed lines are developed to improve grip, reduce friction, free running through blocks, or UV resistance. Personally, I believe that a cored line may be advantageous in stopping propagation of minor cuts and scratches.

It is not unusual for different manufacturers to use their own proprietary names and specifications, especially if their products are manufactured in different countries. I still don't understand how Coca Cola could have missed the chance to manufacture, brand and sell 'Mecca Cola' in the mideast.

Last edited:
>>Someone out there must have multiple lines spooled on a reel. How's it work?<<

Gun reel line is normally fed through a loop or padeye on the muzzle. A splice or knot might catch on the eye with difficult consequences.

Question, how much additional line can be packed on if the line diameter is reduced?

I use an old timey Riffe aluminum reel that will hold 120 feet of 1/8 nylon. I want to know how much additional I will get by replacing the old line with 2mm stuff.

I guess this can be estimated by calculating the cross sections of the two lines, eg A = (pi) r^2. So, using my handy calculator, the cross section of 1/8 (3mm) line is 7 sq mm. The cross section of 2mm line is 3.1 sq mm. If this is correct, the reel should now take 270 feet (81m) of line. 7/3.1 X 120 = 270

Last edited:
Defofthecrown,

Like Peskydor said, I have a small eye under my muzzle that my reel line feeds through and no knot of any kind would fit through it. Good thought though.

Scott

on our tournament bluewater gear we have gone to backing the big internationals with the new super braid fishing lines...we then top shot to mono by splicing. Never thought about using the same idea on my gun. Sturgeon the knot in this setup shouldnt be an issue due to the splice. Im going to look at the gear more carefully on this weekends charter to see if its even worth fooling with...

Sturg, Pesky thanks for the input. Yeah pesky, I guess it was an involved question, and I should know better than to ask you a question like that.;)

Yeah, I like to use dynema as wishbones, too. Last time I was home, RabiSpear showed me how to replace the metal wishbone on my omer with dynema. It has worked out real nice, and I don't worry about noise or busting my fingers so much anymore. In fact, I don't really see any advantage with using the articulated ones. Strong line or cable is much more quiet and less painful if you slip.

Anyway, thanks for the input. This forum is such an invaluable resource. Thanks to the founders of this thing; what a great idea! Nothing expands knowledge like experience. But being able to read others experiences greatly steepens the learning curve for less-experienced guys like me.

Here is a price point from Yale (EMail):

>>Our recommendation would be our "Pulse" line, used extensively in
performance Olympic dinghy sailboats. Constructed of a Spectra core with a
braided Polyester cover, it is very strong for it's weight, and has almost
no water absorption. Yale offers 5 sizes, 1.5mm through 5mm, including a 2mm
size. Color is purple. List price is $25 per spoolette. Normal retail put-up
is on a spoolette, holding 75'. We can spool it up in larger bulk lengths.
To find it, I would suggest Annapolis Performance (www.apsltd.com,
1-800-729-9767) or the local West Marine store. Both carry the spoolettes,
but for longer lengths APS would be a better choice.

Thanks for your interest, and let me know how you make out.<<

(GULP!!)

The SPECTRASPEED Spectra core line has arrived!! First off, there was a screwup in the order. Although the red and blue lines were the correct 2.0mm size, the yellow, although marked "2.0mm", was actually 2.25mm. The spool for the yellow line is markedly larger than the others but they still screwed up somewhere along the line.

The lines are fairly stiff, about like tuna line of the same diameter. The colors are as advertised although I would call the yellow "lime yellow", with a greenish tint. There are black flecks in all lines. The surface is slightly course in texture due to the polyester weave, so I would not call this line "slick". (Maybe somebody can describe the surface feel of the Picasso "MEMO" for us). I put water on some line and it felt the same. It has a 'grippy' feel. The surface weave appears fairly dense and tough, and I doubt that one would ever encounter little snags or wisps coming off the braid. That's about it for now.

I don't think the yellow line comes in 2mm, Pesky. The catalogue says 2mm in metric but 3/32 in inches. The two other 2mm metric measure lines are both listed as 1/12 inch. APS is about 5 miles from my house and I'm happy to find this source. Nice work. I look forward to the evaluation of these lines for reel use.
Mark

I ordered the line from New Zealand. Anywho, we can use as much help as possible. The guy at Discount Marine says "OOPS" and is trying to order some 2mm yellow from the factory. The yellow has remarkable visibility, it is near florescent. When ordering from these guys, don't let them push any conjoined line. The blue line arrived with a taped joint at the 65m mark with 5 meters additional line added. I am using that line on a small reel but that sort of thing shouldn't happen.

Peskydor,

I WANT SOME OF THAT 2 mm YELLOW LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When's the next order going out? I only need one little, teeny, weeny spool. Hook a brother up! If they're going to fix your order and send you another one with free shipping, try to get them to add in another spool for me.

Scott

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT