• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shore diving float/buoy recommendation

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeepAbyss

Feb 11, 2018
Hi,
I want a buoy / float that I can use to swim a few tens of meters offshore will be rock-resistant, and I can rest on it if I needed to.
I've considered building a boogie surfboard buoy but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.
If anyone has experience or recommendation it would be good.

thx

Why would you want to rest on your float? You can rest with your face and speargun in the water, that way you can see and spear fish.

If you want one of those mini-RIB-like floats or a boogie-board float, both seem fairly popular and should work. Either would allow you to rest on them, carry lots of extras (a mixed blessing) and carry a spare speargun or two above water.

Last edited:
...Ignoring the resting requirement (I go out for up to 5 hours at a time and have never felt the need or desire to rest on my float). I would make 3 recommendations:

1. A cheap, single-skin, breath-filled torpedo shaped float with the appropriate diver-down flag for your location (Atlantis!), red and white for USA or blue and white alpha flag for most of the rest of the world. Such a float is small and light, great for lengthy walk-ins, less to carry and small boots/trunks. Good for vompetitions. Use self adhesive bike tyre patches or superglue to fix any leaks

Or

2. Big, cheap, Double-skin (i.e. bladder + cover) torpedo-shaped float, with flag as above. Takes longer to dry. Same advice for any bladder leaks, similar advantages.

Or
3. Flat, "plank"- style, double skin inflatible float, with flag as above and elastic mesh to hold a few extras above water (such as water-bottle, crocs, phone, crab bag, torch, etc.) and extra speargun (s) underneath. Avoid the very real temptation to carry a lot of unnecessary cr@p.

You will need to add ballast, such as lead, to all of the above to keep them and the dive flag upright.

FYI I used a #1 float for several years, works well. I currently use a #3 style float. Mine is a Picasso but I would recommend the similar Dessault product which flies an alpha flag. #2 style floats have intrigued me since I saw the late Peter Crawford (13 times British champion) using one at a competition in Devon.

Omer's dry bag float looks interesting.

Last edited:
BTW I bought an old polyurethane boogie board cheaply in a charity shop some years ago intending to use it as a spearing float but then decided it was too good to hack about, so kept it as a spare boogie board for when we have others with us - and we've broken a few boards over the years, so a spare can be handy :D

I guess I'm saying I think boogie boards and other homemade floats can be perfectly viable options. Boogie boards can be bulky/awkward to carry. I think Foxfish made a long, flat thin float from thick, pink, polyurethane wall insulation sheet. I think it flew a Guernsey flag :)

I would have added an elastic mesh to my boogie board to hold accessories, removable straps to help carry it and bands to carry 2 spearguns, in and out of the water. An alpha dive flag too, if course.

There are other options which are more suitable for sharky waters, solid, plank-style, fish-box floats. One forum member designed and manufactured a very nice one, made of plastic, a few years ago.

Last edited:
I use this for the majority of rock hops & inshore boat dives.
Out wide, blue water big fish, etc, I use something different but this should fit your reference.
2009388D-257B-4C4E-BB33-679FDFF9F985.jpeg

Reactions: Mr. X

MHHF2-2T.jpg

MIDB-2T.jpg

Every thread mako turns into an advertisement.
This forum has a few loyal followers who do try to provide unbiased comment. Is it worth continuing to try?

Sharkey, is your float an RA or RA style 11 litre solid float by any chance? If so, I have one that is very similar, which I used when I started. If you deal with large, powerful fish this might be necessary, as a regular blow-up torpedo float, if pulled under water by a large powerful fish, could soon collapse loosing bouyancy and the fish, your float line spear and perhaps speargun too :(

However, solid floats are bulky to pack and heavy to carry. For UK , small, light, blow up floats work better I think. I haven't used my solid float for years.

Sharkey, is your float an RA or RA style 11 litre solid float by any chance? If so, I have one that is very similar, which I used when I started. If you deal with large, powerful fish this might be necessary, as a regular blow-up torpedo float, if pulled under water by a large powerful fish, could soon collapse loosing bouyancy and the fish, your float line spear and perhaps speargun too :(

However, solid floats are bulky to pack and heavy to carry. For UK , small, light, blow up floats work better I think. I haven't used my solid float for years.

These are not big enough for "large powerful fish". I use 2x 30 litre floats often, but not Rock hopping general boat diving or competitions.
Inflatable floats are the best for big fish imo as they don't crush when pulled under. Yes they can go soft & floppy as they compress buy they have enough dislacement to bring them back to the surface again where they return to normal. These are also usually pumped up to at least two ATM which helps a bit. Crushed solid floats don't return to the surface, they keep on sinking once crushed.
There are lots of inflatable floats on the market, lots are rubbish or the wrong shape. The only two I would recommend for large fish are the riffe & the ocean hunter.
0F8456F7-E7E8-4059-9B38-27D134D389CC.jpeg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT