• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Short roller for U.K. waters?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fishstab

Jun 16, 2020
Considering buying a short roller for when the south coast U.K. waters are murky. I currently have 2x 90 band guns although one has pretty much been retired now, I’d like to go for a roller as 1. I’ve never used one before, and 2. More fire power in a smaller form factor seems a good choice for poor vis (good manoeuvrability without the loss of band stretch).

I’m thinking a cheapish 65-75cm roller such as something from Apnea.

Any U.K. spearos here use a short roller? How do you get on with it?

Reactions: Mr. X
Sounds like a good plan. I've yet to use my Apnea Amarok 95cm. But I think a shorter Apnea Whaler or Apnea roller could see a lot of use.

As to size, it depends where you plan to dive most. Somewhere around 60cm to 82 cm would probably be in the ball park - maybe 70cm/75cm/77cm?

That said, I rarely if ever find lack of power to be a problem when using my single band 75cm and 90cm spearguns.

Was hoping to try out my roller this week but viz was way too poor yesterday, switched from my 90 to my 60.

BTW I got to handle one of the very short whaler rollers last year, 35cm I think. I thought it would be toy-like but it isn't at all, it is very much a proper speargun.

That said, I quickly switched my ST-60 back to a double wrap (using reel line, rather than lengthening and re-crimping the spear line) after seeing how short the line-limited range is.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT