• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Should I release compressed air from my pneumatic gun?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Incognito

Jul 14, 2009
Hi 2 everyone.

As summer passed in my country a few months ago, I'll start again to dive and spearfish in the next summer, somewhere in June. So, should I release air which is compressed into my gun? I have Cressi Sub SL 55, with reducer. I can't find anything in my manual about that. What do you think? Is better for gun to stay with compressed air inside, during the whole year, or I should keep it under pressure only during the summer when I do spearfishing? Could that affect lifetime of my gun?

Regards,
Niksa

You can leave it pumped up, leaving it pressurised will not shorten its life unless it is over-charged with air and stored somewhere where it will get hot. Generally you want to store the gun somewhere cool so that the seals do not get heated, so a dark cupboard or closet is best.

Reactions: agbiv
I prefer to release the air. Then check oil, piston, shock absorber. I had some evidence that the O ring on the piston could permanently change the shape and cause air leakage if it is under high pressure for long time. After checking all and some lubrication I put about 40 pump strokes in the gun. Maybe not necessary but I think it is better this way especially if the gun was used in the sea - in salt water.

I store mine muzzle-down in a cool dry place for the winter, I don't depressurize.

Tnx guys!

I store my gun too in a cool, dark place. It's under the recommended pressure, so I think it's OK.

Happy Holidays!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…