• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sights on pneumatic spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Marulken

Aug 16, 2017
Hi

My bakgrund as Hunter and Sports shooter makes the lack of sights on spearguns in general make it a challenge for me!
In fact I see there are some who make their own sights on the guns.

Iron sights like the one on the pic works extremly well on land. Does anybody know the reason why there is no sights on pneumatic spearguns?

Speargun shooting is mainly “point and shoot” once you get your eye in which means you know the spear flight trajectory and can in a sense see it in your mind’s eye as a fish crosses into the flight path. However sniper shots at sitters and target shooting guns for underwater marksmanship contests do use sights, although these are often add-on’s. Pneumatic guns often have a front sight and sometimes a bump or groove in the rear handle to align with it, but many people just use the tank silhouette to line up their shot and at times “seeing” through the back of the guns works as you obscure the target with the circular rear end of the gun. Using this latter technique I have drilled many sitter’s right between the eyes, or slightly rearwards and straight through their brain.
pneumatic speargun sights.jpg

Recently speargun sights have been discussed here: https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/fiber-optic-sights-for-pneumatic-speargun.106583/

Last edited:
Reactions: Marulken
I have read the fiber optics sights thread.

I think the major problem with aim with out sights is that the Brain and Eye needs to learn a sights picture that is a bit not clear and hard to make consisten shoots with a tipical Iron sights as soon as you know how it work you do can easy take aim.
And se of you are off or Not.

And the other thing is aim att moving target with proper sights you align them and ad your lead. This is more easy with good sights then without.

I think that the longshots would do better with good sights then just the barrel to aim with.

But I wounder why the industry dont make sights?

Spearguns are long if you are shooting any distance and the guns therefore have a long sight radius. I have been shooting them for 40 years, so I think I know what I am talking about. Fancy sights could get knocked around, so hunting weapons don't have much in the way of sights, but competition target spearguns do and for those you need to look at the Eastern Bloc countries. Even there they have different categories for weapons that have simple sights and some that have very elaborate sights. The glow sights we discussed on the other thread are for the occasional sniper shot. Most spearfishing involves convergent line shooting for which you do not even have to look along the gun.

A hunting gun that does have optional sights is the Russian "Neptune", however getting one out of Russia is nigh impossible and I have tried 3 times over the years to buy one. The elevating sight is in the mid-handle, but for long range shooting a rear handle gun is best.
Neptune Speargun Diagram Long X.jpg

Neptune in its carry bag.jpg

Neptune grip and optional sight.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT