• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sleeping fish...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pekka

neoprene dreamer
Aug 22, 2001
I was in Italy last week.. and did some diving at Lake Garda... Interesting place to dive.. at some parts the lake is VERY DEEP! -300m and beyond..
I only did shore dives, and only few, since my girlfriend was more interested in Venice than the creatures in the lake..:waterwork
Well to the point, I went diving at night there..it was nice water warmish +20 or something and fairly good wiz..about 5m. As I dove down to -15m and found a sandy patch among the weeds there were fish sleeping on the bottom.. not just one or two but one to three...MANY right next to each other.. It was pretty wild experience...
What was particulary interesting was that (pikes..I don't know if that's their english name) but (Esox lucius) slept with the other fish..( for those who don't know latin and my guess of the English name is wrong.. the fish is relater to Barracuda, and even looks bit like ti.. is shaped like it...predator) Those fish slept at S shape and as I touched them Puff they straightened theirselves and dissapeared leaving just little dust where they just were..
I couldn't help it while looking all those other fish sleeping that it would be nice to have speargun with... but as I asked about it from the local people they looked at me like are you grazy..shooting fish! NO NO..Chao, Grazie.. so I didn't hunt any just looked at them.. but have anyone done night hunting..I am planning on trying some here in Finland if I can dive here.. (Temp +/-3C) ...........Well Safe diving to you all!

do it

Pekka,
We have fresh water pike here in the U.S. and they do look like barracuda. Sharp nasty teeth, long slender, know for biting through leaders.

If you can fresh water dive at night and see fish too shoot you should go for it! No sharks and no current, what more could you ask for?
Don

Reactions: Pekka
I guess you are right Don, but what about the vibrations from the gun when shot...won't that wake all the other fish?? I just thought it would be nice to shoot..couple of them..:D

be happy!

Pekka,
A lot of us would like to have your problem! I guess you’ll have to pick the biggest one and then swim to another part of the lake and do it again.
Don

hey Pekka. Pike aren't that great eating, really bony - and the meat isn't that good. when I liven in ontario I would grab them by the tail while they were sleeping. good fun! Take a mesh bag down with you, and "tickle" the fish into it. much more fun then spearing a stationary target! I've done it a couple times, great fun, teaches patience too!

Willer

Last time while i was diving saw one.It was just swimming in front of me.At te beggining it didn't care about me.It was swiming very slowly then suddenly it noticed me and head to directly to the sandy bottom.It changed shape like "S" and also it's color.It became light grey with horizontal black lines on it. It was about 40-50 cm long and 2-2.5 cm thick.I decided to shoot it.I dove down and shoot it from the above, the targe area was about 1 cm square from the above look.I hit it but it ripped off.It slowly swimmed away from me but i couldn't found it coz of bad viz.

Hi Willer, well I wouldn't eat pikes....uch.
I have heard that some of the big ones...100cm and 10kg pikes might bite back if they are speared... I wouldn't want holes in my suit...specially from the fish that tastes like mud..

100cm is a pretty good pike. yeah - mud is a good description. just want to make one point - when I say Tickle fish into a bag - it was never in ontario or canada for that matter - I do it with Sole and some others in the Arabian Gulf. Just so no one calls the Warden on poor Willy.

and yes Pekka - their bite is NASTY. best to be avoided :D

Willer

Originally posted by Pekka
fairly good wiz..about 5m.

Fairly good?? I'd say that thats a world Record! rofl rofl
is that why they call you Pekka?

Re: Re: Sleeping fish...

Originally posted by Griff

What so funny about my name??
5M wiz.....:confused: I would like it to be 20M...

you boys should really hunt the Red Sea on the Saudi coast. 100ft+ viz

yes it exists....

Willer

Re: Re: Re: Sleeping fish...

What so funny about my name??

well, we spell it pekker, but thats slang for penis over here. other South African options are shlong, piel or n'tonto.
How did you come up with that nick?

How did I came up with that nic.....Dude it is my actual name.....It is not a nickname!
And DON'T MAKE FUN ABOUT IT!!:duh :naughty :ycard

Reactions: Griff
Pekka...i must salute you for your self control....but if you have kids or a little bro and you want to teach them how to spearfish, you might want to use this as an teachin experience

Oh... I tried to getmy girlfriend into the water but she said the water was too cold.... my brother....I think he would have shot the big ones... I don't really like spearfishing that much..perhaps because at the places I dive there is no fish no wiz..and here in UK I haven't seen a single fish!!?? What's up with that!!!?? I dive at Exeter area and...not a single fish..!
And that place if you read the whole thread was strictly no shooting!! so I don't think I will be hunting there anytime soon... but thank you:)

Re: Re: Sleeping fish...

Originally posted by Griff

:D :D Nooit bru - don't think I've laughed that much in months... classic! Sharp one...

:D :D

Dude it is my actual name.....It is not a nickname!

ok, no more teasing but what you have here is an awsome oppurtunity if you ever come to south africa. ;)

"why did my parents call me pekka? well...."

Dude I'll keep that in mind......:)
I'll come to SA when I get the money together someday....somehow:crutch

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT