• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sleeping fish...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
hahahah, funny stuff.

Your saying wiz, And I think you mean viz, short for visabillity.

wiz is slang for pee/urine. That combined with your username made some good laughs.

I went diving to see sleeping fish in georgian bay (canada) When my friend was diving by a ship wreck he noticed fish sleeping about 10 ft off the bottem, they were lake trout and big ones 15 to 20 lb. They were everywhere he made a mistake by flashing the light in one of the fishes eyes and it paniced, the fish jolted in to my friends chest and knocked the air out of him. When he got to the surface he said it was like getting hit in the chest with a baseball bat.

What I find is relly strange is that dolphins are consious breathers, and if they were to fall unconscious they would die.

...what happens when they sleep?

Just found that out, had to post it somewhere.

Dolphins & whales often sleep unihemispherically, left side of brain asleep, right side awake (but perhaps groggy unless alerted) in control of breathing - ascending, then switch sides back and forth. Some whales sleep head down vertically, others usually sleep head up vertically, not moving for 20 minutes or so.
A mother and pup orca at an aquarium didn't seem to sleep at all for the first month, they just kept swimming around the pool.

DDeden

Damn, that doesn't sound like the recipie for a good nights rest.

Now relax, put your head on the floor, your feet in the air... listen to my voice... now half listen to my voice... ALRIGHT TWENTY MINUTES UP! GET MOVING!

Damn, that doesn't sound like the recipie for a good nights rest.

Well, I haven't heard any complaints, so I guess they like it. rofl

There's another form of sleep used as well, they simply shut down for a few seconds, like a 10 second coma, then reawaken . Apparently when this is done thousands of times a day, it adds up to normal sleep. Not sure which cetaceans do this.

Also, deep diving elephant seals will sleep on the long descent down during hunting, I'd think the deep diving whales would also do this.

DDeden zzz zzz

Reactions: DeepThought
There's another form of sleep used as well, they simply shut down for a few seconds, like a 10 second coma, then reawaken.
Sounds like what happens to me during dynamic. Once I was doing dynamic and got bored, and was soon lying on the bottom of the pool. It wasn't a blackout, just lost track of what I was meant to be doing. rofl

Many fishes have funny sleeping habits.

Many sharks, mackerel, tuna and others must sleep on the move, because they breathe by moving forward with their mouth open to force water through their gills. They also have no air bladder, so if they stop swimming they sink.

The parrotfish makes a protective bubble of mucus around itself when it sleeps.

The neon tetra changes colour when it sleeps - the brilliant blue stripe fades to dull navy blue, and the red stripe becomes brown. Many other species of colourful tropical fish are similar. At night they rest on the sand or gravel and become dull brown.

The goldfish is usually active in the day and sleeps at night, but I have often seen them sleeping during the day and moving around at night. They can find their way around easily in the dark with their lateral line.

Reactions: alix.leclerc
Oh my word...

Fish are werid. Especially the mini coma; A real switch off moment.

Much the same as in your dynamic then :D That must have been a very relaxed breath-hold.

How do you know so much about fish?

Reactions: naiad
I have kept fish for most of my life, tropical and coldwater. Now I don't have tropical fish, just the 6 goldfish.

I am also studying Ornamental Fish Management at Sparsholt College.

I think the term for the micro-catnaps in whales is poly-phasic sleep or something like that. I found myself doing that yesterday at the library while reading about marine mammals!

I am also studying Ornamental Fish Management at Sparsholt College.

Wow! Thats such an indepth course, really interesting subject. How are you enjoying it?

ps Morgan say when you come diving in Brighton you could get a day pass to the gym on the seafront. They have hot showers and a sauna if you need heating up after.

I'm quite worried about how the spearing will be this summer, all the fish I like tend to prefer colder water, which would mean swimming out very far. Too far probably. What to do?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT