• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Snorkel Advice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Snoek, I think snorkel position is a factor in your case. When you are standing on shore, snorkel must be tilted back, almost parallel to mask strap, to behind your ear. You are on surface face down, therefore snorkel will be out of the water. And, like mentioned above, clearing it with each breath should be automatic reflex. You are right about spooking the fish, I can see scools of perch dashing each time I blow hard, I think it mimics the sound of seals.

Reactions: Snoek
Snoek, I think snorkel position is a factor in your case. When you are standing on shore, snorkel must be tilted back, almost parallel to mask strap, to behind your ear. You are on surface face down, therefore snorkel will be out of the water. And, like mentioned above, clearing it with each breath should be automatic reflex. You are right about spooking the fish, I can see scools of perch dashing each time I blow hard, I think it mimics the sound of seals.
Thanks, Andrew! I believe you are right. Repositioning the snorkel will be my 1st solver and hopefully, that will fix it. I think I'll still get a spare with a slightly different configuration to see how I get on with it. Nice part of the world you're in. The diving is meant to be great there!

Do you mean the Aqua Lung- Impulse 3 flex that you recommended earlier in the reply posts?

Not sure my budget will reach that far, and I'm also not sure about too many complicated mechanical parts on the top of the snorkel as it does allow for More to potentially go wrong. At most I'm thinking of a purge valve and maybe a simple splash guard on the top but will do a bit more research. Also, as silly as this may sound, I think the top of the snorkel needs to be as parallel as possible with the mouthpiece and not angled like most snorkels.
So far I'm liking - The Imersion Skwal Spearfishing Tube
- Omer Slalom Apnea Tube, for its shape
- Cressi Gamma DIving Tube for its simple splash guard and purge valve system.
All of these seem very reasonably priced as well. Especially if something goes wrong or I don't get on with them, then at least I haven't broken the bank.

Hi
@ ‘Snoek’ your #25
I understand, but a snorkel that still works very well after almost 30 years is still a good reference.
Reliable isn't it?

@ ‘DiverC’ your # 23, 24
Sorry for the delay
I have the first impulse ( from 1992 n°1 from my # 4 , 12) and ‘Impulse 3 flex’ is the actual snorkelI suggested.

Reactions: Snoek
Hi
@ ‘Snoek’ your #25
I understand, but a snorkel that still works very well after almost 30 years is still a good reference.
Reliable isn't it?

@ ‘DiverC’ your # 23, 24
Sorry for the delay
I have the first impulse ( from 1992 n°1 from my # 4 , 12) and ‘Impulse 3 flex’ is the actual snorkelI suggested.
Absolutely and fair point!
Thanks for your help dcvf!
:)

Here is an article I wrote for Scuba Life that I think you might find helpful.

tips-lowly-snorkel
Good article, well worth reading but I disagree with one area mentioned. The article says most freedivers leave the snorkel in their mouth while diving (as I do) but most freedivers (I.e. competitive freedivers, rather that spearos) on this forum dive with snorkel out, that's how they're trained.

The snorkel in/out debate is a long standing one and controversial one. A recent Italian paper made a strong case for keeping the snorkel in but specifically in the context of spearfishing and not competitive freediving.

Also, diving snorkel in, I don't block the snorkel with my tongue, it is unnecessary. But you are right, you need to be careful when surfacing, clearing the snorkel could potentially be enough to cause the diver to black out;. I don't push myself excessively but occasionally I will remove the snorkel from my mouth at the surface, rather than blowing it clear, just in case.

The lower/ back/ under-ear position for the snorkel is not entirely problem free. In chop, when you look-up - for example to get your bearings or determine the location of noisy motorboats - water enters the tube more easily, which can surprise! If you look at the drawings in old snorkeling or spearing books, you'll notice that the diver is usually shown looking down but forward, rather than straight down. In practice, I tend to do both (and, when spearing, looking up from the bottom too) but probably much more looking forward and down. So, having experimented with various options over the years, I currently use a mid-way position, locating the snorkel clip towards the back of the strap but before the rear web of the strap. It's not perfect but seems a reasonable compromise.

BTW Even though I learnt snorkeling from a BASC booklet, I've always worn my snorkel on the right side. Tried left after reading it was more common but never got on with it. Interesting to read the reason for prevalence of left (to facilitate use of SCUBA regulator). Perhaps I once knew that but forgot it. So, right side is ok if you don't SCUBA dive, but left keeps your options open! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Brochman and Snoek
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT