• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Snorkel Advice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Snoek

Jun 22, 2015
I'm not sure why, but I seem to spend a lot of time clearing my snorkel and/or making gurgling noises on the surface before going down. This interferes with my breathing up and makes a noise that I am sure spooks the fish.
Do you get extra long snorkels or do guys use special valves on the top of snorkels, or am I just a numbnut doing it wrong?
Thanks for the help!

I think you'll find varying opinions on snorkels. Everyone has their preference and reasons for them. Standard J pipe, valve, no valve, etc.
You'll want to try and position the snorkel tube so it's facing up, vertical, in your neutral snorkeling or hunting position. This at least mitigates the water from getting in there in the first place. Having it too far forward or back will just promote water splashing in more.

Some snorkels, at the tube tip, are shaped to prevent water from entering, like a shield. This may help too.

If you're looking for a valved type snorkel (for purging water near the mouth piece), just know they're all not made equal and some brands work better than others. Even models within a brand can differ a lot.

That said my preference is to use a purge valve and have been using the Gull brand for years with comfort.

Reactions: Snoek
I think you'll find varying opinions on snorkels. Everyone has their preference and reasons for them. Standard J pipe, valve, no valve, etc.
You'll want to try and position the snorkel tube so it's facing up, vertical, in your neutral snorkeling or hunting position. This at least mitigates the water from getting in there in the first place. Having it too far forward or back will just promote water splashing in more.

Some snorkels, at the tube tip, are shaped to prevent water from entering, like a shield. This may help too.

If you're looking for a valved type snorkel (for purging water near the mouth piece), just know they're all not made equal and some brands work better than others. Even models within a brand can differ a lot.

That said my preference is to use a purge valve and have been using the Gull brand for years with comfort.
That's great! Thanks for your help Musubi!

Hi
Snorkels.png

N° 1 my ‘Impulse’ since 1992. Very happy for holiday
N° 2 for Apnea session in flooded quarries
N° 3 it’s my wife ’s snorkel…since 1975…the snorkel ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X and Snoek
Hi
View attachment 57492

N° 1 my ‘Impulse’ since 1992. Very happy for holida
N° 2 for Apnea session in flooded quarries
N° 3 it’s my wife ’s snorkel…since 1975…the snorkel ;)
Thanks, dcvf!
I think I will just have to try some different snorkels and see what works best. The purge valve seems a good option with an extra bit of length as well.
Thanks for pic for comparison!

Hi ’snoek’

The actual ‘Impulse flex 3’

And to see other models

Hi ’snoek’

The actual ‘Impulse flex 3’

And to see other models
That'sgreat! That Aqualung looks proper. Pretty pricey too! But i guess you get what you pay for. Thanks for your help mate. Sets me on the right course!

Snorkels come in different widths and lengths so it might be that the snorkel you are using is a short version so more likely to catch water from a small wave through the top. I have seen some more recent designs of snorkels with slits three quarters of the way up which makes no sense to me what so ever also snorkels with a splash cap over the top are not easy to clear as some of the water just hits the cap and falls back down in to the tube.

A few months ago however I noticed that I was having the same problem as yourself that water was entering into the snorkel that I had been using for a few years some how and although I cleared the snorkel as usual the water never seemed to go away so I had a gurgle noise , so the next time I went out diving I took my back up snorkel which is the same length etc and a typical J type snorkel and it worked fine which brought me to the conclusion that there was a malfunction on the other snorkel and the only place water could of been getting in was where the mouth piece connects to the down pipe so I took the mouth piece off, put some silicone on the down pipe and refitted the mouth piece and let it set.
When I next went out for a pop at some White bream I tried the snorkel again and there was no gurgle noise so it was a bad connection between the mouth piece and down tube and all that is between the two to stop water entry is an O ring so you have a flexible softer mouth piece fitted to a harder plastic with just that O ring to prevent water coming in so when there is flex with the softer mouth piece or the O ring has had its day it creates a gap letting in a small amount of water but enough to make that gurgle noise.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Snorkels come in different widths and lengths so it might be that the snorkel you are using is a short version so more likely to catch water from a small wave through the top. I have seen some more recent designs of snorkels with slits three quarters of the way up which makes no sense to me what so ever also snorkels with a splash cap over the top are not easy to clear as some of the water just hits the cap and falls back down in to the tube.

A few months ago however I noticed that I was having the same problem as yourself that water was entering into the snorkel that I had been using for a few years some how and although I cleared the snorkel as usual the water never seemed to go away so I had a gurgle noise , so the next time I went out diving I took my back up snorkel which is the same length etc and a typical J type snorkel and it worked fine which brought me to the conclusion that there was a malfunction on the other snorkel and the only place water could of been getting in was where the mouth piece connects to the down pipe so I took the mouth piece off, put some silicone on the down pipe and refitted the mouth piece and let it set.
When I next went out for a pop at some White bream I tried the snorkel again and there was no gurgle noise so it was a bad connection between the mouth piece and down tube and all that is between the two to stop water entry is an O ring so you have a flexible softer mouth piece fitted to a harder plastic with just that O ring to prevent water coming in so when there is flex with the softer mouth piece or the O ring has had its day it creates a gap letting in a small amount of water but enough to make that gurgle noise.

Hope this helps.
Mate, that makes sense and I will look into that. To be honest, even when the water is calm I still get gurgling going on, so that may be part of the problem. I may pull it apart to check. Think I will invest in another longer snorkel as well as it makes sense to have a spare anyway.
Thanks for the advice!

I don't think a long snorkel is the solution. Clearing when you surface (if you dive with snorkel in) should be automatic reflex, and so should clearing anything that splashes in. You are rising and falling with the waves and you should be way beyond the surf zone so I don't think water splashing into your snorkel is likely to be a major factor. A long snorkel will just cause extra drag. I suspect your problem is a crack in the mouthpiece or a faulty valve, so look at these carefully. My personal bias is against valves. They are unnecessary and just a potential point of failure. My all-time favourite snorkel is a flexible valveless snorkel from Israel simply called a 'Tubo'. It is simple and reliable, and when you dive you wouldn't even know it was there. Unfortunately I can't see anywhere in my region (UK) where they are currently for sale. Good luck. You don't have to put up with leaking and gurgling! :)

Reactions: Andrew the fish
I'm finding the same thing with a new snorkel I just got-a SEAC. It might be a little short, or the position might not be right. I didn't think to compare the length with my other snorkels though. That's the first thing I'll do when I sufficiently wake up this morning 9it's 0431 here right now!). Good things to think about, thanks, guys!

Hi ‘Snoek’

I never have to clear my snorkel the valve at the lower part makes the job automatically it works very well. :)
When i dive I spit out my snorkel and back to the surface I take it again in my mouth.

Do you have a valve at your snorkel, at the lower part?
If so, check it by blowing very lightly, it should block the air.

Blow lighty.png

For my son at Ibiza I had to buy a snorkel.
Only 3 on 30 sustained the check I describe here above.

A detail

The best snorkel I've used is a 1970s Typhoon plain J. The mouthpiece and bottom of the J were soft, probably silicone. I lost it a few years ago :(

I bought a load of different modern snorkels to try. Most looked promising but we're disappointing in use, yes that gurgling of uncleared water was a common problem. Most or all were about an inch or more too short. Halfway through my decided to stick with the Omer Zoom, it isn't as good as my old Typhoon snork and it is about an inch or inch and half too short (it floods too easily in choppy conditions) but it cleared easily and was the best I tried so far (beating a couple of Cressi snorkels and drawing with a new Mares design,).

I used a soft Beuchat Tubair for a few years, it's ok but not great. I also tried a camo Seacsub snorkel, it was good in many ways but too small for me - might suit an adolescent or smaller adult. I have another plain J snorkel, black tube with a clear, soft silicone bottom and mouthpiece which worked very well, no gurgling but just too small for me - again better suited to a smaller person ( perhaps designed by and for Italian spearos?).

I am not a scuba diver, but I snorkel all summer long. Brand names are important. Ask if you can use a TUSA hyperdry to get to your dive site.
Cressi makes several snorkels that they claim will keep dry when in use.
Another thing I have found, that if you use them often during a season,
even the more expensive snorkels can start to admit water in the 2nd or
3rd summer season. Don't know why - tried careful cleaning and they
still admitted water.

Just a quick thought, if your diving with snorkel in and you clear the snorkel as you surface, be super careful, I know this is obvious to most here but maybe not someone new to diving

I'm not sure why, but I seem to spend a lot of time clearing my snorkel and/or making gurgling noises on the surface before going down. This interferes with my breathing up and makes a noise that I am sure spooks the fish.
Do you get extra long snorkels or do guys use special valves on the top of snorkels, or am I just a numbnut doing it wrong?
Thanks for the help!

Here is an article I wrote for Scuba Life that I think you might find helpful.

tips-lowly-snorkel

Here is an article I wrote for Scuba Life that I think you might find helpful.
H
tips-lowly-snorkel
Like Mr. X above, I too have an Omer Zoom Pro and for me, it is, like he said about an inch or so too short. Also, the shape of the snorkel just doesn't make sense to me as it keeps curving at the top, almost pointing back towards the water. I don't have a valve on it.
However, this article by Ted Harty does make me feel like a plonker! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It is soo obvious and yet I didn't even think of it! I did check my snorkel for leaks and found none, so I conclude that it must come in from the top. I will definitely try repositioning my snorkel as per Ted's recommendation next time before buying a new one! I still think the Omer Zoom is a bit short for my big head though!
Thanks for all the great advice to all who have replied! I will keep you updated.

My advice is to consider one of these.
budget buys:
TUSA SP-580 Imprex II Hyperdry Scuba Diving Snorkel
Cressi Adult Diving Dry Snorkel with Splash Guard and Top Valve - Supernova Dry: Designed in Italy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
more expensive (and hopefully more durable):
ScubaPro SPECTRA DRY SNORKEL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
These two videos from Simply Scuba dot com, which is a UK dive shop, could help.
Introduction to snorkels (12 min)
Choosing The Right Snorkel | Scuba Advice

Recommendations (5 min)
5 Of Our Favourite Snorkels

I am not a scuba diver, but I snorkel all summer long. Brand names are important. Ask if you can use a TUSA hyperdry to get to your dive site.
Cressi makes several snorkels that they claim will keep dry when in use.
Another thing I have found, that if you use them often during a season,
even the more expensive snorkels can start to admit water in the 2nd or
3rd summer season.
Don't know why - tried careful cleaning and they
still admitted water.
Not mine, described #12, and since 1992, it's a lot of seasons !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT