• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Snorkel or no Snorkel?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

skarz

Rasta Freediver
Mar 4, 2004
When you practice Statics, do you do it with the snorkel in your mouth or not? I figured you would because its way different for me breathing out of a snorkel. I'm actually more relaxed, so my times are better. Sorry for such a newb question.

I much prefer a snorkel as well. I can float in the pool and let the water take up the weight of my body and completely relax myself. when I submerge for a static i spit the snorkle out.

LoL both are good points. My proof is my honesty :) I've just started freediving, so im doing times to improve, not to impress. Woot for the 40 second breathe hold....

Reactions: thud and donmoore
I prefer without. I find breathing thru the snorkel more restrictive ( and noisy because its right beside my ear ) and harder to pack with. I like to do my statics in about 3ft of water. I'll do my breath-ups on my knees, so the water level is just below my chest. I also don't like to use a mask, I like the feel of the water on my face. I feel really comfortable with just a nose-clip.
hope this helps

Don't forget to fill in the snorkel in/out survey for *spearfishing*:
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=63661"]Snorkel In/Out Survey[/ame]

Having a snorkel makes is too tempting to breath because your mouth is already partially open and your trachea is extended to the surface by the snorkel. If you dont have one, you can have your mind on otherthings.

Sealdiver said:
Having a snorkel makes is too tempting to breath because your mouth is already partially open and your trachea is extended to the surface by the snorkel. If you dont have one, you can have your mind on otherthings.
Practice makes this a non-issue -- for me anyway. I long ago got the whole snorkel breathing/not breathing to be subconcious. Consequently, however, swapping between snorkel & no snorkel and back again now is really confusing! :duh

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT