• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

    • Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

    You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

snorkeling Gear - Help

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.


New Member
Nov 29, 2001

I'm just about start my new snorkling hobby but I don't know how to choose the right and good snorkling gear (the google and pipe - I'm not sure what they are called). what are things I need to consider when I buy a google and the pipe? in other words, what is a good google and pipe?

than you very much for your help.

Hi Ardani,

The thing that goes over your eyes, and nose is called a mask, the thing that goes in your mouth is a snorkel, the things that go on your feet are called fins. In general smaller masks are more often used for snorkeling, but they need to fit your face well. The snorkel is usually just a simple tube with no valves, ball or flags on it, just simple j tube, look for one that is comfortable in your mouth. The fins also should be comfotable, and ideally be made to fit you foot like a shoe, no straps. Most of the stuff that is used for freedivding is different from stuff used for scuba. Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy your new sport.

Best wishes,

Doug Morgan,
Lantzville, B.C.
Further Questions...

Hi Guys!

Thanks very much for the quick INFO!

I have seen some snorkel which has an open pipe at the bottom just before the bending that goes into the mouth. Is this product better?


Hi Ardani,

What you see is most likely a valve, they are ok as long as they are working and some work quite well for a while, but on a long dive it is common that they start to leak, and result in a lot of water in you mouth. When working thay are a little bit easier to clear the water from the snorkel with, but most seem to use a plain jane j tube.

Best wishes,

hello m8,
make sure the mask has safety glass in, place mask on face and breath in gently it should stick to your face ! if it doesnt try another size / make. when you find one that fits do it again this time with a snorkel in your mouth and if it still sticks to your face it should not leak in water. dont breath in too hard as this will make even a bad fit stick to your face.

last of all, join a club or or go to a school for proper instruction !
you will be shown lots of equipment and shown how to use it , it's not as simple as some people think and your life must be worth the money to lern from experts !!!:)
  • Like
Reactions: Erik
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing


ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.