• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

So how was your day in the ocean?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jps

Jun 27, 2010
Due to misc health problems that have finally been resolved it has been way too long time since my last dive, but this day, this day was to be The Day. Warm weather with misty rain, clear water, and as i was walking towards the shoreline the tide was coming in. Aah, the happy place!

I sit down on a big rock to get my fins on, and as i push out my float while washing my mask i feel a big grin appear on my face.

5s later my mask strap breaks.

After a black minute filled with curses worthy of voldemort i start the tricky business of trying to knot the slippery rubber. As each knot fails the determination and usage of flowery words rises until finally, "...into this Strap, he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life...", Behold! The strap holds!

5 min later i hit a great wall of jellyfish. The kind of jellyfish with long, red threads. Left/right/under/over is no go, so i make an attempt to break thru. The attempt fails when the jellyfish soup turns so thick that im starting to get the impression that any minute now im going to jump out from some kids birthday cake. I can no longer feel my mouth from all the burning.

On my way back thru the jelly birthday cake i suddenly remember that this spot, which has a large shallow area with sand bottom out to the dropoff, is an excellent feeding ground for flounders. Determined to at least get some hunting done i grab my 3-prong (the ones with hooks on them) polespear and start looking. Luckily the jellyfish seem content hanging on their side of the area, and i soon spot my first one, 30cm+, which is nice size where i live. The 3-prong hits it right in the skull, and again i can imagine my grin appearing (...face is still numb...).

1min later and the curses start to bubble up thru my snorkel. The ¤#""¤ 3-prong is stuck in that ¤"#¤#" skull. An epic struggle involving man, fish and 3-prong erupts and ends with one of the prongs suddenly lodged in my left glove thumb. Dumbfounded i just stare at the thumb and step down on to the bottom with my right foot, right on an even larger fish that bolts away. I don't dare stepping down with my left.

I hold this pose for a while, pondering on the mysteries of the sea, thumbs and prongs, until i finally decide to cut the fish free with my knife. First fish in the bag! I look down, and as i feared/hoped, there is a third fish where my left foot would have been if i had stepped down, about the same size as the one i just got. This time my spear hits a softer spot and i have a nice second catch of the day.

I continue on my now snorkeling journey over the shallows and i spot flounders just about everwhere. There are so many that i feel content just by being there. My trip finally ends with 2 more in the bag, and while spearing flounders might not be the exciting stalking adventure i was hoping for, this has been A Good Day :)

Ouch, sounds like a rough start but glad to hear you're back out there! I spent the morning diving and playing in lava tubes. Somehow I wore myself out faster than any other day so I came home after lunch and took a nap :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT