• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

So should I just put freediving on hold for now?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Earthjolly

Sep 15, 2017
I used to scuba a bit before dabbling in freediving and loving it more than scuba diving. I was enamored by videos of freediviers zipping through wrecks so fluidly.

I would practice my Co2 tables and all that, but the problem is that here in this country, Dominican Republic, there's absolutely no place willing to teach it and I can't find any freediving buddies whatsoever.

So what this means is that I can't even try pushing myself to freedive further of fear of shallow blackout, since as I said I got no buddies interested in freediving. So is the only option I have left is to put freediving on hold and go back and focus on scuba diving where I will find load of scuba buddies?

Reactions: Manny_OCF
Let me do some digging to see what options you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Earthjolly..... I am also finding this a problem. I live in inland Spain, just an hour from the beautiful Mediterranean Sea. I travelled 7 hrs by car to take my SSI level 1 and now trying to find a local buddy to dive and train with is almost impossible. I ve contacted many dive centers but they either don't reply or just want to sell courses.

The people that I have delt with, Lassdive.. ( 7 hrs away ) True Blue Experience..( flight to Ibiza ) have a huge passion for Freediving but unfortunately are too far for a dive after work or the at weekend.

I ve joined a few sites and downloaded a couple of apps ...but still no joy. To be honest I ve had more contact with other freedivers through the Deeperblue forums

I don't have the knowledge or know-how but it seems to me that there is a massive opening for some kind of app just purely for freedivers and spearfishers to connect with others and enjoy the sport

Reactions: xristos
I would suggest you to further your certification, then start teach freediving in your area's local swimming pool. You'll have great buddy next year or two

I don't have the knowledge or know-how but it seems to me that there is a massive opening for some kind of app just purely for freedivers and spearfishers to connect with others and enjoy the sport
If my memory serves me well there is such an application but hasn't earned much popularity. I think you should be able to highlight in the apps the AREA, (maybe with "Paint windows software" like tools), or coastal line you are willing to go. (Not a point). Then the app runs to find overlaps and informs both freedivers. This way not just anyone will be able to see the area you are diving just those in the same place. Just an idea maybe just bad :hungover:

Reactions: Divingin
I would suggest you to further your certification, then start teach freediving in your area's local swimming pool. You'll have great buddy next year or two

Your right Kresnata, that is something I would like to do in the future

Sent from my ROBBY using Tapatalk

If my memory serves me well there is such an application but hasn't earned much popularity. I think you should be able to highlight in the apps the AREA, (maybe with "Paint windows software" like tools), or coastal line you are willing to go. (Not a point). Then the app runs to find overlaps and informs both freedivers. This way not just anyone will be able to see the area you are diving just those in the same place. Just an idea maybe just bad :hungover:

That's a good idea to overlap areas ....even with a hangover haha

Sent from my ROBBY using Tapatalk

Is there somewhere you can travel to where the course is taught?

Are you close to the Bahamas? there's a big freediving culture there.

Or you can travel to South East Asia, lots of freediving schools in Thailand and Bali

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT