• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Soft rubber handle coating

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

denmyos

Jun 14, 2014
Hi
I want to get a better grip on my epsealon stinger.
I can see the mvd speargun have a nice soft rubber handle.
http://sportsbutikken.dk/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=6043

I really don't wanna change the handle form just put some coating on the handle for better grip.

What is that coating called that mvd use.
I have see it on other home made guns as well.
So I guess it's "buyable"

Thanks

I recall a thread on this a couple of years ago, there was an image of some white goop that had been used to provide a very personalized/ergonomic hand grip - more of a shaping thing that texture but it might appeal to you. Foxfish and the Guerns tend to be very knowledgeable about this type of thing, usually they've tried it! I think I asked what it was and I think Magpie or Foxfish replied with the product name. I think it was intended for model making.

thank you both of you :)
I will have a look at sikaflex
I can see people are using sikaflex 295.

Going to give the 3M marine adhesive sealant 5200 a go on a piece of plastic before trying on my speargun handle. I used this sealent to plug a small hole on my friends boat last in 2016 and it is still going strong. When i bought the sealent from the ships chandlers the bloke there said it was what there divers use as you can use it below the water line (underwater) which i did on my friends boat but the 3m 5200 also forms to a rubbery texture once dry and also has a high UV resistance and can be purchased in either black or white so in theory it should make a good grippy coating for a speargun handle.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...ive-Sealant-5200/?N=5002385+3293241623&rt=rud

Reactions: Mr. X
Cut a bicycle inner tube ( I used a 1.45 to 2.6 tube) to just over the length of the handle, put some washing up liquid on the handle which helps the inner tube slide on the handle then wipe all the excess washing up liquid off with a paper kitchen towel by turning the rubber over itself so you are wiping the inside of the tube,leave it for a couple of days to dry off and then glue and trim to fit the handle. It made so much of a difference to my speargun having a rubber grip on the handle as the plastic handle would just slide around in my hand when i had neoprene gloves on so i never had proper control of the gun and it also helps against your arm getting fatigued because of constantly having to hold the speargun tight and improved my shooting accuracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT