• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sony DSC W290

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mishu1984

Halla Waaaaallllaaa
Aug 15, 2002
Does anyone have any experience with this camera?
sony states taht it has a special underwater camera&movie HD mode.

I don't have experience - but I wouldn't give too much credit to "underwater" modes - as most of them are only designed for snorkelers in a couple feet of water. Personally, I think RAW capabilities and manual white balance as well as low shutter lag are much more valuable for an underwater rig.

Reactions: mishu1984
No experience with this particular one either.
I started by using the underwater modes and gave them up almost as fast as the fart leaves the wetsuit...
The UW modes are designed to boost the red... Fine, but the water color varies so goddamn much - not only in various locations, but in depth too and then you have the time of the day issue when the color of the natural light changes too... In most of the cases you have weird results.
RAW and gray cards is the way to go as Will said - then tweak it to normal in the software.
As far as shutter lag goes - all entry level cameras have it. As a result you get blurry shots on almost every moving subject. And even on a static subject you'll end up with lots of crappy shots just because on freediving you can rarely be absolutely still.
My advice is - test it before you buy it.

Hmm i was thinking of mostly using as a camera to mount on my gun for video.

i ended up getting the sony t-90 with housing. same as w290 except that you can zoom while recording video. now all i need to do is find some time to use it.

Very nice choice with the sony t-90. How does the camera cope with low light? im looking to upgrade but the camera needs to perform well in low light

well from what i can tell, unless you will be shooting at dusk/dawn then it will be fine. I havent had the chance to get it wet but in my room with the blinds closed at 6pm it was decent but not great.

Reactions: scottwilson
so in a room with the light/lamp turned on it is fine. the camera I use now ( gopro hero 3) is rubbish in low light so I dont want to make the same mistake twice.

Good luck with your new camera it really is a fine bit of kit.

scot the lamp was off. the only light in the room was whatever managed to make it through the blinds.

scot dont rush to buy the camera. first see if you can try it at your local shop. dont take my words for it.

scott this is for you

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJm7dHM-bCM]YouTube - first u/w test sony t-90[/ame]

Alright then - who broke the swimming pool?!!

Not a bad vid, it looks like the focus is hunting a bit in places though?

Reactions: scottwilson
cool video Mishu1984 picture looks very good.

Is it possible to do manual focus with the T-90

i dont know yet. i just figured out how to set the camera to housing mode, that way all the menu buttons are accesible on the left. let me read the instruction manual and il get back at you.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT