• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South African Record

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bluecape

Apr 21, 2003
The South African Constant weight record was recently smashed by Bevan Dewar, I stand to be corrected, but I think the previous record was 64 m. It now stands at...if I'm correct...85 meters !!
Bevan is a DB forum member, so hopefully he will post some details here. Many of you will be familiar with his posts regarding training issues for static and general competition freediving.

I am prepared to stick my neck out and say that we will still be seeing a lot more from Bevan in the record books. He is gifted, obviously very talented, but more importantly...having met Bevan in Capetown, he is one of the most modest and humble people I've met. I saw it as a sign of focus, wherein lies the potential of a true champion.
Congrats Bevan, Keep going deeper !

Jeff

Reactions: Erik
Yes, Bevan is competing in Cyprus and he may upset the favorites. His biggest issue (and limiting factor) now is just finding adequate safety for his training dives, since at >85m, a lanyard and a freediver at the surface doesn't cut it anymore.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Originally posted by bluecape
I am prepared to stick my neck out and say that we will still be seeing a lot more from Bevan in the record books. He is gifted, obviously very talented, but more importantly...having met Bevan in Capetown, he is one of the most modest and humble people I've met. I saw it as a sign of focus, wherein lies the potential of a true champion.
I dove with Bevan for 2 weeks or so in Thailand and I agree with every word. :)
It blew me away to see him doing a 4+ minute dive (closer to the 5 mark if I rememeber correct) on some day, seemed to not being taxed at all afterwards.
At some point soon I'll manage to get my *** down to Dahab and say 'hello' (and finally break/make some PB's).

Postal address to Freediving South Africa

Related to this topic, I could sure need a postal address to someone in Freediving South Africa. I was judging both Bevan's CWT attempts, and I need a location to send the official report over the event to. I have already tried to contact South African chairman Mark Botha through mail, but without luck.
Anybody in here hang out with the South African managers?

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

hi

Couldnt agree more with you guys, although I have never met Bevan personally he has always been VERY helpful in responding to the pm's I send him with great advice :)

I wish him the best of luck in Cyprus and hopefully he can break the 90m mark. :cool:

cheers

Hi Chris

Yep, as Grant says, Herman is the man to send the stuff to. I think he is upgrading the website at the moment.
Hey Grant, Pse send my regards to your bro when you speak to him again.

Cheers

jeff

Where can i get a list of all South African current Freediving Records?

Where can i get a list of all South African current Freediving Records?

The apneamania site, under worldrecord/national records, should do
the trick in principle. I say in principle because I am not sure that the
database is regularly updated. For S.A., there are a lot of empty spaces.

Reactions: island_sands
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT