• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Trelawney

Aquatic Womble
Jan 12, 2007
Happy New Year to all the South Devon spearos. Ive just come back from a walk around Bovisand, and the water is brown, rough, and brown.

Ah sounds just like home !Happy New Year too .Look on the bright side it can only get flatter and clearer ????

(y)Best wishes to all for the coming year. Been checking forecast and at the mo looks better for next week, well couldn’t be worse! Hoping with this mild weather there may be a bass or two still around. Checking web cams daily some great surf to be had, unfortunately the Teign and Exe are brown with lots of debris being washed down. Had a Eucalyptus tree (yes tree) pass me on the teign this morning, wedging itself by the boat yard near to Shaldon Bridge.

Happy New Year everyone. Fingers crossed for calmer conditions and plenty of fish.

Happy New Year to All
Had a great first season spearing around south/east devon in 2013 and looking forward to this year. As I am still quite new to spearing and had a couple of questions,
1. From reading up on weighting most things say aim to be neutrally buoyant at 3-5m, am currently under weighted and have to hold onto kelp to stay at the bottom. But how do you stay on the surface for breathing up? slow leg finning?
2. How do you guys sharpen your spear tips? have hit a few rocks and trying to resharpen tip on whetstone but not sure if there is a beter way?
3. Struggling to find any flat fish, is it a case to searching really hard on the bottom?

Reactions: foxfish
Weighting is a personal preference; if you generally dive 10m or more, then neutral buoyancy at 6m is about right. But if you uf you're doing alot of shallow diving then you will need more weight to hold position. I personally use 12 kilo with 5mm suit. But will take 2-3 kilo off when going deep.

Use a metal file to sharpen your blunt tips.

I usually find flatfish over silty ground or sand particularly on the edge of steep drop off's or in deep sandy gulllies near rocks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

If you are weighted for neutral at 3m you will still be buoyant at the surface as your suit/lungs will be less compressed.

Happy new year all!

Just got myself a new house near Averton Gifford so I'll be in every night possible... Particularly as I got shot of the girlfriend!

Any viz yet? I'm in France and looking forward to getting back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info speerolee and spiderman, will play around more with my weighting
happy hunting

Tribs, north & fellow East devon boys can you let me know if there is any sign of viz for a night dive, over coming days. Started hitting your way and I must say I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen!

Umm. Just watched next weeks weather. Rain and SE winds later part of Sunday/Monday, better day Tuesday then more of the same Wednesday, think first dive of the year will have to go on hold.

Umm. Just watched next weeks weather. Rain and SE winds later part of Sunday/Monday, better day Tuesday then more of the same Wednesday, think first dive of the year will have to go on hold.
Hi, only just logged on. Think you may need to leave the wetsuit on the hanger. Can't see much point this way until it warms up. I may try Cornwall early spring. Good luck.

Hi all and a happy new year.
Over in New Zealand at the moment visiting my bro and family. Very pleased to be away from all the
shit weather you are having. My bro lives in Queenstown in south island well away from ocean, but are at
present up in the north on the corromandel enjoying some good diving, and without wanting to be cruel
warm sunny weather!
Went for a dive at a beautiful little bay called Matapaua the other day, this is a great spot as you only need
to be a few meters of shore and and you are in boulders and kelp. After i had moved about 75m of shore i
settled on the bottom at 7m and was surrounded by 30 -40 yellow tail kingfish, now they have to be 75cm
some may have been size but not being sure moved on. Over the next hour i saw more but all on the small
side, i talked to Brendan who moved on around the headland i decided to stay on point which turned out to
be the right thing to do. After around ten minuets i dived in 6m only 25m from the point and at last some
good sized fish(15-20) arrived schooling around me closer and closer i picked one and fired a good head
shot on 8.5kg fish as i started to pull it in i noticed on of his mates was following, now this not unusual
for them to do this but this one had no choice, i had speared him as well i could not believe i had hit it with
a perfect head shot. Now i have to sort out two fish that had spun all around my float line and made a big tangle
it took around ten minuets to get this sorted and the fish strung. Brendan arrived back and i of course told him
what happened, he then moved 20m away to a large rock which is partly exposed. I dived down again surfaced
NZ 2013-14 024.JPG
NZ 2013-14 033.JPG
NZ 2013-14 033.JPG
luckily my float had drifted close to the rocks, i shouted to warn Brendan put my head in and the shark came
back strait at me 4 times, i held my gun out and tried to give it jab but it turned away just in front of spear. I
swam and climbed out with my fish Brendan got on his rock and the shark cruised back and forth between
us after e few minuets it left, Brendan swam over and we swam in close to the rocks and back to shore.
We are of back down south in a few days and hope to do some diving down there, will let you know if we have
any luck.
Hope the spring comes early.
All the best Jolly.

I was jealous right up to the point you mentioned 'shark'

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi all and a happy new year.
Over in New Zealand at the moment visiting my bro and family. Very pleased to be away from all the
shit weather you are having. My bro lives in Queenstown in south island well away from ocean, but are at
present up in the north on the corromandel enjoying some good diving, and without wanting to be cruel
warm sunny weather!
Went for a dive at a beautiful little bay called Matapaua the other day, this is a great spot as you only need
to be a few meters of shore and and you are in boulders and kelp. After i had moved about 75m of shore i
settled on the bottom at 7m and was surrounded by 30 -40 yellow tail kingfish, now they have to be 75cm
some may have been size but not being sure moved on. Over the next hour i saw more but all on the small
side, i talked to Brendan who moved on around the headland i decided to stay on point which turned out to
be the right thing to do. After around ten minuets i dived in 6m only 25m from the point and at last some
good sized fish(15-20) arrived schooling around me closer and closer i picked one and fired a good head
shot on 8.5kg fish as i started to pull it in i noticed on of his mates was following, now this not unusual
for them to do this but this one had no choice, i had speared him as well i could not believe i had hit it with
a perfect head shot. Now i have to sort out two fish that had spun all around my float line and made a big tangle
it took around ten minuets to get this sorted and the fish strung. Brendan arrived back and i of course told him
what happened, he then moved 20m away to a large rock which is partly exposed. I dived down again surfaced
View attachment 37705 View attachment 37706 View attachment 37706
luckily my float had drifted close to the rocks, i shouted to warn Brendan put my head in and the shark came
back strait at me 4 times, i held my gun out and tried to give it jab but it turned away just in front of spear. I
swam and climbed out with my fish Brendan got on his rock and the shark cruised back and forth between
us after e few minuets it left, Brendan swam over and we swam in close to the rocks and back to shore.
We are of back down south in a few days and hope to do some diving down there, will let you know if we have
any luck.
Hope the spring comes early.
All the best Jolly.
Nice on Jolly. Don't get eaten. See you when you get back.
Dave

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT