• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

south devon report

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spearheads

Matt H
Dec 18, 2005
First dive of the year today and it was not the best because i could not get my gun working my wishbone wouldnt to lock into my spear and it blasted of allmost tacking my fingers dont know why so in the ended up leaving the gun and just did some dives to see if there was any fish there was loads of bass and mullet swimming around i realy wished i had the speargun working:head .But i did get a edible crab:p . The viz was good 4 or 5 i got out in the end because mr seal kept bumping into me:crutch
im still waiting for my new suit so i wont get as could. .going to try tommor again but with a different gun also does any one know why the wishbone will not stay on the spear:confused:

Hi
I'm a newbie having rediscovered spearfishing after a break of 35 years!!last time was with a bamboo pole and loads of rubber bands knotted together.!
Went in heybrook bay last night .not a fish to be seen but then realised why.
Spent the next 2 hours flirting with a Seal. fantastic.
so where were all these bass etc. theres nothing round plymouth.
Off to salcombe at the weekend might have a dip and see.

Welcome Doc, You have joined the right site if you want to catch up on the latest kit, Hope your suit it not 35 years old?:)

Funny you should say that as I did try to squeeze into my 25 year old 9mm winsurfing steamer but Its bloody wel shrunk in the cupboard.
My son races dinghies and while at weymouth found Pottland oceaneering who sold me a lovely Cressi suit. Struggled a bit till I discovered the hair conditioner/water mix trick now it slips in easily.!!!!

Doc, be careful at Salcombe. It's a designated bass nursery and if they catch you with bass there they get very nasty :rcard

OOPs maybe I'll just look! thanks for that. Is it just the estuary or outside as well ie starhole bay or the mew stone off the head.
Also any other spots to avoid?
I know about the proposed no take zone at wembury but not legal yet and that looe island is also taboo.
I'm assuming wrecks are also out

Just estuary at salcombe. Looe is a voluntary conservations area so can be fished. Most estuaries around UK are designated nurseries for bass, I think someone posted a link in a previous thread so try a search.

I put some info forward on this thread...
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?p=587726#post587726"]HERE[/ame]

Basically if you're at Salcombe, go to South Sands beach and swim towards open sea past splat cove. From this point onwards you can catch bass. The line passes from Limebury point to Splat point. Also, current UK record Gilthead Bream was caught in Salcombe although not sure exactly where......

Brilliant thanks guys. I'll have a look see and let you know what happens. If I dont thought come see me At HMP Channings Wood!!!

went spearfishing again today and got the gun working i had the wrong spear in it thats why it did nt work last time. well the viz was good and i got 2 bass and one mullet and 2 pollock and i also saw i lumpsucker can you eat these or not i left it alone becasue i was not sure:confused: they are strang looking things it was stuck to the pier wall.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT