• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Southern California Dive spots

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Don1447

Aug 16, 2015
Hello folks, I'm looking for maps in the central and southern California area which may indicate rocky shores and also maps or locations of kelp forests. I am new to spearfishing and figure that these two types of areas would hold the best opportunities for me, I figure on just diving at first and then moving on to the fishing when I find a good location for game.Thanks/D

Try Google Maps or Microsoft/Bing maps - the aerial views & detail maps can be very useful; they are wonderful & free. Marine charts can be useful but expensive; I bought a few old, out-of-date ones at reasonable cost but after some initial study of them I have really bothered consulting them. Cheap road maps can be useful too. In the UK, Ordinance Survey maps are the "gold standard" - the most detailed ones would be most useful.

Don't overdo it though - once you have done your preparation - better to spend your time in the water.

[FYI I have moved this to the USA region of the forum but have left a permanent link to it in its original location ;) ]

Try Google Maps or Microsoft/Bing maps - the aerial views & detail maps can be very useful; they are wonderful & free. Marine charts can be useful but expensive; I bought a few old, out-of-date ones at reasonable cost but after some initial study of them I have really bothered consulting them. Cheap road maps can be useful too. In the UK, Ordinance Survey maps are the "gold standard" - the most detailed ones would be most useful.

Don't overdo it though - once you have done your preparation - better to spend your time in the water.

[FYI I have moved this to the USA region of the forum but have left a permanent link to it in its original location ;) ]

Thanks for that info, if you were not aware NOAA does have charts online which are free to view. It's a bit of a chore to wade into though.

Are you shore diving or boat diving? SoCal isn't my main diving area (yet), but as I understand it, the MPAs have severely restricted shore access for divers.

Last edited:
I will be doing both (kayak. and hopefully a seaswirl 2601), Ventura has not been much effected "YET", and also there are open artificial reefs, but my guess is that those areas are fished out (artificial reefs that is). I am going to be going out to San Diego and Ventura counties on a regular basis. A neighbor of my fathers in Newport beach goes out in a 14 foot motor boat and has gone as far as the 14 mile bank, God bless global warming, he has speared yellow fin, and some pretty big white sea bass...40 lb.

As far as the MPA's go I have no problem with fishing moratoriums, for example close all fishing for 5-10 years and then open up fishing for a period of time. Hook and line fishing has been really bad in Southern California for decades (thats my reason for taking to spearfishing). But my feeling is that crack head environmentalists are going to force their will upon everyone and keep these areas closed forever.

Yep, you're right. After an area is closed, it never opens again. I attended many of the MLPA hearings in SoCal. We actually thought that what we said might make a difference. They said that even if areas were closed, there would be regular surveys to see how it was working. Of course no funds were appropriated for those surveys, and none will ever be.

By the time it was over, we had "scientists" directly contradicting what they had said in previous meetings. It turned out that the entire thing was fixed. No matter what was said at the hearings, the outcome was predetermined and paid for in advance by the special interests that were paying the salaries and expenses of the political appointees that made the decisions.

Here is a link

Artificial reefs

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Ocean/Artificial-Reefs

MPAs

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Marine/MPAs

It's all about control and forcing the will of the environmentalists upon the population, and of course about fines. I have read about $500.00 fines, a poster on a fishing site said a game warden approached him on a kayak and stated he wasn't going to ticket him, but would forward his info to the D.A., which translated into somebody else was going to give him a ticket. It was a misdemeanor and a $500.00 fine.

I read somewhere that fishing of any sort (in California) was prohibited around oil rigs.

http://channelislandsdiveadventures.com/dive-spots/oil-rigs/

The environmentalists are very well organized and sportsmen and sportswomen also need to be organized, if not we will all be vegans in the not too distant future.

Global warming now has been changed into climate change, which equals a future where cattle ranchers will pay more in carbon taxes because of farting cows, and other meat related ranchers and farmers will also face the same situation. This will be passed onto the public until a point where only the wealthy will be able to afford a steak dinner. Think this is crazy, look at what is happening already.

Looks like I have gone off the topic.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT