• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Southern Cioppino

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Oldsarge

Deeper Blue Budget Bwana
Jan 13, 2004
If you ask any San Franciscan, The City is the home of California's native fish soup, cioppino. They may be right. Certainly the Portuguese and Italian fishermen who settled there brought their old tradition of dropping any unsold seafood into a pot and cooking it up into something delicious. However, the Portuguese and Italians were just as busy off the SoCal coast as they were up north. Unfortunately, I guess, the basic ingredient in cioppino, Dungeness crab, isn't found this far south. So instead we use the local spiny lobster. You could use Atlantic lobster if you are on the other ocean of course but here's my version, suitably adjusted for my wife's severe allergy to celery.

Southern Cioppino​
1 spiny lobster, 1 ½ lb. or larger, live or cooked
2 Tbs. olive oil
½ medium onion, diced
½ medium bell pepper (green or red) diced
2 Tbs. diced lovage stalk, minced
1 Tbs. minced garlic
¼ cup, more or less, chopped parsley
28-29 oz. canned, diced tomatoes
1 ½ cups white wine or light beer (half beer, half clam juice works, too)
½ tsp. dry basil leaves
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
Gr. Pepper and salt to taste
1 can white beans, drained
1 doz. Small clams
1 lb. white fish fillets cubed
1 lb. squid, cleaned and cut into rings

• Kill the lobster and cut in quarters.
• Heat the oil and then sauté the vegetables over medium heat until all are soft but not browned.
• Add garlic and stir for 15 seconds
• Add tomatoes and beer; bring to a simmer and cook 10-15 minutes. Check seasoning.
• Add lobster 12 minutes before serving time, clams 10 minutes before serving, fish cubes 5 minutes before serving and the beans and squid 2 minutes before serving. When the clams are fully open and the fish and squid are opaque the soup is done.
Serve in bowls with hot Italian bread and aioli. And don’t forget the Chianti.

Reactions: spaghetti
"Fishermen dropping any unsold seafood into a pot and cooking it up into something delicious". Exactly, perfect. You nailed it, Sarge.

The unsold handful of clams and crays, the half dozen of red mullets, the broth made off the heads: all in a pot and there you go. All of these mixed fish soup recipes, however they are delicious indeed, were meant to be an "economy" meal. :eek:

But, to my frustration, this is what my wife does not understand.

When she's about to cook "Cacciucco" (the Tuscan mixed seafood soup) she just hooks a 100 Euros bill out of MY wallet (that's about 130 USD!!! :blackeye) and she spends it all in kilograms and kilograms of first choice pricey seafood.

That's the wrong way to do it, but she just doesn' get it! :girlie

Now I'm not saying that I don't like her Cacciucco. I really love it. But where is my 100's bill then? :blackeye

Maybe you need to go spear some random fish and insist she use those? Probably wouldn't cure her fixation but it would sure taste good.

Hey a C -note to keep the lady happy is...well, priceless. :inlove

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Oldsarge
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT