• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Southern France - Cote d'Azur ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Albert_N

Sep 29, 2010
Hello everyone,

I was planning a trip to Greek Islands again but my wife wants to go to southern France... The question is - has anyone been there and what to expect in the sea ? Sand and 10m all around ? are there some better locations close to Antibes ? Someone on DB mentioned Niolon.
Also, is the coastline public or can private properties block access to the sea ?
Thanks a lot,
cheers,
Albert

Antibes alone are not bad at all. You will find plenty of nice spots for shore diving. You can also contact the local freediving club Orca, and they perhaps take you to some boat freediving. If not in Antibes, you have the bay of Villefranche with the bottom going to some 500m, and perfectly protected from winds and waves, so you can dive all year long in perfect conditions, and with such freedivers like Guillaume Néry - contact the club CIPA in Nice. You can go also to Porquerolles and train with Stephane Mifsud - it is a beautiful place, and a National Reservation. In Marseille, you can dive not only the western side (Niolon and further), the eastern side to Cassis with the beautiful Callanques, but also directly from the city centre of Marseille - contact Pascal Huron or Jerome Chapelle at the Sansbulles club - plenty of marvelous freediving, including cave and wreck freediving, underwater tunnels, and more - all accessible quickly from the city center.

There are plenty of other beautiful places in this part of France, plenty of great diving and snorkeling spots, and plenty of freediving clubs. The shore is public almost everywhere.

Reactions: agbiv
Trux - you are helpful as always ! I was envisioning sandy, crowded beaches with jestskis all over the shore. Seems like my wife will be happy and I will get some proper diving. I will check the places you have mentioned. I plan on staying on a camping - perhaps you know a quiet decent place close to the shore ?
Merci :)
Albert

Well, north of Antibes you have indeed 10km of a sandy beach, not interesting at all, and pretty crowded, so you can forget about that part. However, that's probably the longest sandy beach in that region. Then you have the bay of Cannes that is just an uninteresting crowded beach. More interesting is the peninsula south of Antibes, all those diverse islands (the one in front of Cannes, the Porquerolles,...), the Presque'ille de Giens, the Calanques,... - there are plenty of really beautiful places with some excellent diving. Some of them are difficult to access, so they are really quiet even in the highest season and despite being very close to big city like Marseilles.

I know only one camping in Antibes - although huge, it was very nice, quiet, with a lot of room for each placement, and in a walking distance to the beach. However, I saw it in May, so in the high season it is certainly a bit less quiet anyway. Unfortunately I do not remember the name.

However, you should be aware that campings are pretty expensive in France. Personally I rarely use them - if you can plan your holidays, it is often not much more expensive, but much more quiet and more comfortable renting a private house or an apartment - you can find most offers at Site officiel Gîtes de France®. 55 000 offres locations vacances en France.

Be sure to use Google Maps - set it into the satellite mode, turn on the photos, webcams, and videos, or turn to the Street View, and check out the places you are interested in. Some of them look beautiful on the photos of the advertisement, but if you look at them in Google Maps you get a much better idea.

If you want to be quiet, you may need to go more inlands, but then again you will be stucked in the daily jams each day going to the sea and going back. Using bicycles may be difficult and dangerous, but the situation improves and some bicycle tracks slowly appear everywhere in France too.

If you go for 2 weeks, I'd recommend booking some 3-5 places along the coast and exploring it all. It is really woth of it. You should not miss the diving with CIPA (Nèry) in Nice, diving with Mifsud in Hyères, you could dive with Frolla in Monaco, and you should definitely stay a few days in Marseille for diving in the surroundings (you must see the Calanques, when nothing else, but there is enough to explore for many weeks there). Your wife can make some shopping or culture in the mean time :)

And on the way there or back, you should stop in Geneve and dive with Christian Maldamé in the lake of Geneve - he is a great pedagogue, and the diving is excellent there too.

I am just afraid that it may be a bit late for booking - a lot of places will be already taken by now, unless you can go out of the main season (june, or september). Also be ready for crowds of tourists and traffic jams during the main season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sub37
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT