• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spam

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
I am permanently monitoring DB and other forums and try helping to fight spam. It not only is deeply annoying to have to read it, but it can harm both the SE ranking of Deeper BLue, and can potentially infect with Trojan viruses the less carefull visitors as well.

After just a very quick search for spam on DB now, with some new patterns I discovered, I found huge volumes of it here on DB, and am continuing to report them to the moderators. Usually they are then being removed quickly. Unfortunately, even though all messages and profile information of these spammers get removed, the "visitor messages" of these spammers, including all their links, remain visible. You can see an example here: DeeperBlue.com Forums - View Profile: anglyzly

The spam bots are clever enough not to post the spam onto the profile pages of regular memebrs (who would report it), but post them to accounts they create themselves. And since visitor messages are not visible anywhere among the new forum posts, and the concerned profiles are often dormant (hence not visited by moderators), there is very little chance a moderator finds the spam. The above example shows it: both angyzly and truyen-hentai are spam accounts. Truyen-hentai was already banned, but as you can see, his spam is still visible on the forum and can harm DB.

Hence my recommendation is to ban all hyperlinks in visitor messages (past and future) (at least at all non-supporters), and to make sure that all visitor messages at all banned members (past nad future ones) are being removed along with all forum posts as well!

Last edited:
Reactions: DRW
Another spammer that I just found, with spam links in the singature:
DeeperBlue.com Forums - View Profile: anniedavis54

Unfortunately there is no way to report a spammer who did not post any message yet, and unfortunately there is no way to search for spam link in the search function, and no way to view signatures on the member list, so it is not easy to find them. However, just by a brief check I see there are huge volumes of spam hidden in signatures, here on DB. The only way to get rid of them easily is, as I wrote, banning and removing hyperlinks in all signatures - past and future ones, with the exception of paying members.

Just found another technique of spammers abusing the availabilty of hyperlinks. Some of the, to escape the detection, make their signature transparent/invisible by adding a hyperlink on a content that does not display (blanks, blank line, white dot,...). So nobody sufficiently experienced can see and detect their spam, but they still get the profit, and can harm the forum and visitors. There is an example here:

DeeperBlue.com Forums - View Profile: prvenbhu

Have a look at the Signature field in the tab About Me - it is defined, but you won't see anything, unless you look at the HTML source code of the page, where you can then discover the spam link. Another good reason to ban hyperlinks.

Thanks Trux.

BTW - all those links are rel="nofollow" so there is no SEO advantage in spammers putting them in the forum - we'll go about removing as much as we can and also putting in place a system to try and stop them but ultimately they gain nothing from invisible links :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT