• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spanish law

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BENOK13

Jan 25, 2010
Hello... I am new to this forum stuff and thank you all in advance for your patience. I am going on a trip around spain and portugal and I need to know the laws. I have done some research and think I need a spanish doctors clean bill of health and to visit the town hall and apply for a licence. Does enyone know if this is true? If so does this licence apply for all of spain or just the region I got it ? pleeeeease help :head

Hi Benok,
First you have to go to get a medical check up for underwater activities. To do this you need a (blank) medical certificate which you get at a tobacco/stamp shop for a couple of euros. Find a doctor that can give you this type of checkup and (around 20-40 euros) Then you go to the local Ministerio of Ramaderia y Pesca office for the actual licence which is valid for all of Spain (approx 13 euros). The town hall would probably be able to inform you of the location of the Ministry building. If you are in a small town it might be in the next larger one. You will also need diving insurance, to show to the police if you would ever be stopped and asked for documentation. As you would if you were scuba diving.

When you get in the water you need to have on you the spearing licence, the dive insurance and a national ID card of some sort. In Spain all of these are plasticized and are the size of credit cards, so I used to have them hanging off my float in a little watertight container.

Fines can run from 600 euros up plus confiscation of all your equipment.

All this is only for spearfishing, if you aren't going to do this, then there is no official paperwork involved.

I hope this helps. Good luck and Welcome to Deeper Blue!

Reactions: sunfish
thank you for the reply and the welcome. your help is much appreciated i did hear the fines can be on the hefty side but i will be going all around the coast so needed to know if the licence is for all of spain. thanks for clearing that up...:) what type of insurance do i need? a third party liability insurance? if so where is best to get this? Padi/travel insurance? i am not scuba trained but i do have aida* not been spearing long about 2 years so i am a bit wet behind the ears :confused: thanks again for the reply!!!

Hi Benok,
First you have to go to get a medical check up for underwater activities. To do this you need a (blank) medical certificate which you get at a tobacco/stamp shop for a couple of euros. Find a doctor that can give you this type of checkup and (around 20-40 euros) Then you go to the local Ministerio of Ramaderia y Pesca office for the actual licence which is valid for all of Spain (approx 13 euros). The town hall would probably be able to inform you of the location of the Ministry building. If you are in a small town it might be in the next larger one. You will also need diving insurance, to show to the police if you would ever be stopped and asked for documentation. As you would if you were scuba diving.

When you get in the water you need to have on you the spearing licence, the dive insurance and a national ID card of some sort. In Spain all of these are plasticized and are the size of credit cards, so I used to have them hanging off my float in a little watertight container.

Fines can run from 600 euros up plus confiscation of all your equipment.

All this is only for spearfishing, if you aren't going to do this, then there is no official paperwork involved.

I hope this helps. Good luck and Welcome to Deeper Blue!

Good news for the rest of the world, maybe Spain wont be getting too many World Titles after all these rules. :mad:

Sorry somewhat sarcastic, that is the only possible reply for this just ridiculus paper work, hopefully no one from Brazil will read this and try to implement those rules.

For people living here it's not that much time spent, just a little money, and the most expensive thing, the check-up is good for two years. You have to realize that there are thousands of spearos in Catalonia alone, that's just one stretch of coast. One needs some sort of control, even if it's just to set some limits. And I'm afraid the majority of them are not into being ecological or respectful with the sea. Even people you'ld think should be, like one top apnea ex-champion I know about. One guy shot himself in the foot, but couldn't claim the insurance because he was night spearing, illegal here.

For people coming for a week it's a hassle for sure - you have to decide to risk or spend some time and cash getting it all together.

One thing about the catch limits, it can be different in different communities of Spain.

thanx again. i am doing some homework about catch limits so i will hopefully have some clue. i will only be spearing what i want to eat so limits are not such a issue. i wil be in spain for 3 months at least so it is worth the licence if i go with no gun and just freedive with my camera i will see my best fish and regret not taking my guns. i think the sport is getting bigger in uk but no were near the rest of europe...... Aby info about spearing in Spain and Portugal is greatly appreciated.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT