• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spare-air anyone?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

feign

Jun 30, 2003
I am new to freediving, coming from a scuba/snorkel background. I have read several accounts of divers having close calls when unexpected events happen preventing them from returning to the surface eg. tangled in kelp or getting stuck in some rocks while looking for fish to spear etc.
Has anyone ever considered having a little spare-air stapped on a waist or arm in the event of an emergency situation?

I know this is probably against the idea of being 'free' and may conflict with the pure and simple approach to freediving, but I am just curious what you think. Maybe the spearfishing guys would be more likely to consider something like this - since extra equipment is involved already.

I use one when I freediv ewith my scooter, in case it floods on me. I don't use one for normal freediving.

All of the normal scuba rules come into play once you take your first breath off of a spare-air (slow ascent rate, never hold your breath) and your also done freediving for the day at that point.

Jon

feign

i'd never consider doing a thing like that. mainly because i might get tempted to stay down longer/go deeper than i should for a clean dive.
when you risk entanglement or getting stuck underneath rocks then your judgment needs improvement. having spare air won't make you a safer diver, being reasonable does.
problems like that would probably occur at depth, so your buddy would be limited in assisting you as well.

plus all the scuba related issues..

regards

roland

:cool:

I don't think I would take a spareair along, just because it
would give me an 'out'. I must make it down and back, and my safety is only my willpower and my buddy. Plus it's just another thing to carry down to the beach, and clean when I get home.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT